Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen iPhone offline tried to lock it but lock couldn't be attempted because phone got offline.

Hi, today I lost my iPhone

After an hour after that I reached my computer to check Find my iPhone. Phone was offline with the last place where it was online was at my home. I enabled Lock mode but I have very strong doubts that Lock mode will ever be activated on my iPhone because of thief wiping it BEFORE Lock mode enable could reach my iphone through internet.

I think that thief could immediately turn it offline before i activated Lock mode, put out the sim card, and wipe it off. Still wonder if now he is able to use my phone as new after that wipe. Does Lock mode enable on a wiped iphone if it was offline the next time he connects to internet to try to activate,

find my iphone shows that Lock mode is pending due its being offline.

thanks for answers, and sorry if my english is not enough good.

iPhone 8, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 29, 2019 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2019 10:10 AM

When you turn on find my iPhone that also enables activation lock. As long as you leave that device listed under your tracked devices at your account at www.icloud.com then activation lock prevents anyone from activating and using that device - even if they do erase it.

If the erase it (by restoring it as a new device in iTunes) then that will break the location tracking and remote commands part of find my iPhone but it will not affect activation lock.

See this support document - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201472

If it did not already use a screen lock passcode though, you should assume your data is compromised to be safe. Change passwords to web sites and accounts.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2019 10:10 AM in response to shota2703

When you turn on find my iPhone that also enables activation lock. As long as you leave that device listed under your tracked devices at your account at www.icloud.com then activation lock prevents anyone from activating and using that device - even if they do erase it.

If the erase it (by restoring it as a new device in iTunes) then that will break the location tracking and remote commands part of find my iPhone but it will not affect activation lock.

See this support document - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201472

If it did not already use a screen lock passcode though, you should assume your data is compromised to be safe. Change passwords to web sites and accounts.

Stolen iPhone offline tried to lock it but lock couldn't be attempted because phone got offline.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.