Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the range of the walkie talkie app?

Each time I try to speak to my wife through the walkie talkie app on my series 3 Apple Watch it says she is not responding or cannot connect unless we’re in our home together. So I can’t help but wonder if there a range limit of some kind.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 5

Posted on Mar 29, 2019 9:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2019 10:38 PM

The Walkie Talkie app has essentially unlimited range since it uses WiFi and/or a cellular connection. When you use the app to contact your wife, does she have her iPhone on her? And does it allow FaceTime to access cellular data?

For general Walkie Talkie app info, see this link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208917

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2019 10:38 PM in response to MacDaddy37

The Walkie Talkie app has essentially unlimited range since it uses WiFi and/or a cellular connection. When you use the app to contact your wife, does she have her iPhone on her? And does it allow FaceTime to access cellular data?

For general Walkie Talkie app info, see this link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208917

Mar 29, 2019 9:42 PM in response to MacDaddy37

https://appletoolbox.com/2018/08/apple-watch-walkie-talkie-not-working-how-to-fix/ discusses range, but more importantly the fact that if users are sharing the same Apple ID functionality is doubful:

"If you share an Apple ID, Walkie-Talkie will not work with anyone you share an Apple ID with. Everyone must have their own unique Apple ID to use Walkie-Talkie.

Many people share an Apple ID with their husbands, wives, children, or friends so they can download purchases, share photos, and other services.

This sharing Apple IDs worked well in previous iOS versions, but folks report problems with iOS 12 combining iMessages, FaceTime calls, and Walkie-Talkie not working when Apple IDs are shared between 2 or more people.

Because Walkie Talkie uses FaceTime Audio, you need separate Apple IDs.

FWIW, I have found that statement to be accurate. My wife and I both have watches, share the same Apple ID, and have found Walkie Talkie to be useless.

Mar 30, 2019 6:31 AM in response to MacDaddy37

Walkie-Talkie is a Push-to-Talk FaceTime audio connection. It’s range is anywhere you can connect to the internet. I’ve done 300 miles between my Wife and myself. But around the world is just as possible.

Make sure your iPhone is allowing FaceTime over your cellular connection.

Make sure your cellular provider allows FaceTime over their cellular network.

I am fuzzy on this, but you might need WiFi calling enabled. I’m not in a position to check at the moment, hence the fuzziness.

And as a test, make sure FaceTime works between your iPhones when one of you is out of the house.

What is the range of the walkie talkie app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.