Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homepod stereo pair no longer working

I've had two Home Pods stereo paired for months now. This morning I noticed one Home Pod no longer connected to the network. Fiddled with it for a while, decided to unpair, reset both home pods (power cycle hold down, white to red, 3 beeps, etc.). They both setup, both played on their own. BUT, when I setup the stereo pair, only ONE will play. The stereo pair has been working fine for months.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

HomePod, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 30, 2019 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2019 1:17 PM

• The homepods might have updated to the latest software 12.2, Did you also update your iOS device yet? If not, do that and check HomePods are both on 12.2
  • Unplug the homepods for a few seconds
  • lift the homepods off the surface and rock them gently to recalibrate. When they think they got moved, they adjust

• If they still don’t work:

you can also sign out of iCloud in the home app , then sign back in

check your internet connection and unplug the router for a minute,

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208244

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2019 1:17 PM in response to peterfrombonney lake

• The homepods might have updated to the latest software 12.2, Did you also update your iOS device yet? If not, do that and check HomePods are both on 12.2
  • Unplug the homepods for a few seconds
  • lift the homepods off the surface and rock them gently to recalibrate. When they think they got moved, they adjust

• If they still don’t work:

you can also sign out of iCloud in the home app , then sign back in

check your internet connection and unplug the router for a minute,

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208244

Apr 1, 2019 11:49 AM in response to StereoHomepod

Some things i’d not mentioned above

Apr 1, 2019 4:42 PM in response to StereoHomepod

Dual Bands used to be an issue with me. Everything would work but one device just wouldn’t. Had a Cable Guy here and he told me this and did it for me. Since then it’s been pretty good, even my air printer could never be found before. Now I can print without going to the printer fiddling with settings. The HomePods improved. He said with two bands (radios) one will disconnect and it struggles to find the higher speed. I can still choose which one I want to use

re tapping wifi address, it’s there at the bottom in HomePod settings, it doesn’t say the network you’re on until you tap it, then it switches to reveal this, see image above

Apr 1, 2019 11:26 AM in response to peterfrombonney lake

I had the same question, done all mentioned above, and also tried to move them. Still don’t work as in pair. They’re already paired as stereo, If trying to use siri both of them would triger, if trying to turn volume up/or down, only individually works.. not like before used to be together, or they where calibrating the sound same time =(

Apr 1, 2019 12:10 PM in response to StereoHomepod

If you have dual bands on your wifi, that can be an issue.

One needs to be disabled and set one to be the default. Otherwise they keep disconnecting from one and connecting to the other, which presents the problem of them both “being on the same wifi network” , it causes interruptions . You will need to consult your wifi model or isp on how to do this, it requires logging into a browser

to see what wifi HomePod is on:

in home app, long press HomePod- choose settings- scroll to bottom and tap wifi address.

Apr 1, 2019 12:10 PM in response to Vancouver22

They bassically are paired as stereo, I can even test left bip and right bip.. but when controlling them is the problem, they dont do similar things, I have to go individually for example to put volume up or down, before I used to do only on one and both volume was seamless … Btw I couldnt find in settings an option to tap wifi adress, but I made sure I connected initially to the same one.. and since they both work, I dont see the problem, unless there is something else to do with dual bands… The homepods nor iPhone knows the password for the other band, could be that an issues ??

Thank you Vancouver

Apr 2, 2019 4:17 AM in response to StereoHomepod

Oh that’s strange.

how’s the other one? Does it have a wifi address ?

Both of mine have this but I’m not stereo pairing.

then again being I’ve not tried pairing yet , I’m not familiar on how they appear in home app when linked as “one”.

might be this is how it works in pairing that only one might show it. I really don’t know and can’t find any info about this part. Only info on looking that up on one HomePod.

They do connect automatically to the same wifi as the iOS device you set them up on, so they don’t need your password

Apr 2, 2019 4:51 AM in response to StereoHomepod

One other thing to try again to get them syncing is you can ask Siri to “play a song on both HomePods”. They Should play in sync at the same volume. Ask Siri to raise or lower the volume or other commands for the song. Then see if they will act as a pair once they’ve had some practice.

You could also try Reset Network settings on your iOS device as another thing to try. Since it relies on your network settings on that. General- Reset - Reset Network settings

They also do need to be in the same room and I once had an issue with my hue lights by calling one bulb “living room” and the other” livingroom”. I got the rooms muddled up. The hue app seemed a little smarter and fixed it for me when I agreed to merge with apple Homekit

Apr 6, 2019 1:05 PM in response to peterfrombonney lake

Hi,

Well initially I though that my issue was solved but it's back. Here's some more details.

The issue is only with iTunes on desktop. (Mojave 10.14.4) whenever I listen to music and I pause and come back only one Homepod will play music, I have to manually go on iTunes in the Airplay menu and un-select and select my Homepod (pair) and most of the time the music starts to play in both of them but not all the time and in that case I have to quit iTunes and launch it again to get stereo mode back.

I tried everything possible, restoring both my Homepods, removing them from the Home app, restoring macOS but the issue is still present. One thing i'm not sure about and maybe it could be an issue but I use a VPN service on desktop (PIA) but i didn't have that issue prior the 10.14.4 update so i'm not sure it could be related.

Also This issue is not present when streaming directly from Homepod, iPhone or iPad.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Homepod stereo pair no longer working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.