In response to Masterdance and following up on his other thread.
I have also raised the issue with Apple. Just a reminder that I am running an iMac on Mojave 10.14.4, which makes me believe it's their problem. Given that, their initial response that 'Audacity is a 3rd party piece of software and so is not supported' is IMHO inadequate and I will follow that up. Other research also suggests that 789:57:13 is a fault code generated by iTunes to say that something's wrong with a file and it has occurred intermittently over the years with many earlier releases of iTunes.
Audacity is a widely-used program, that is frequently supplied with USB vinyl record decks. That's one of the uses I've put it to; to convert some of my old vinyl. I've discovered that virtually all the files created in m4a format (with several versions of Audacity) that I've tried from this source have had their running time altered and become unplayable.
I've also looked at the pragmatic solution of batch conversion programs (m4a to mp3). I came across the free / shareware one from MediaHuman, (there are others) which I have tried briefly (the Mac version) and which seems to work, in that the 'faulty' files quickly convert to mp3 and reimport to iTunes without issues.
This may be a way for others with far more files (& more pressing needs) to resolve the issue until Apple admit there's a problem. I have also updated to the latest version of Audacity (2.3.1) and plug-ins, but I haven't tried to generate m4a files - yet. I will report any progress in due course.