Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

True Tone & Screen Replacement

Does True Tone still disappear if you use an aftermarket screen/get it fixed by a repair shop? I have a crack over the front camera, so I want to get it replaced but I’m afraid the True Tone option will disappear if I do. There aren’t any Apple stores near me and I can’t afford to ship mine out because I need my phone for work.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 30, 2019 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2019 6:54 PM

Just to test my theory... I swapped my wife's iPhone X screen, with my iPhone X screen (both OEM/Apple, never been repaired.)

True Tone option disappeared on both phones, after the swap.

Tried a hard reset and I also restored my phone from "new" and also from iTunes backup, no dice.

Swapped screens back and True Tone option reappeared.

From what I can tell online there are some vendors who have the tools (like Apple) to copy over the screen data from the old OEM to the new OEM screen, and it returns the True Tone option. This appears to only work on OEM replacements. If you go to a non-authorized Apple repair (or order one online to install yourself) and have them install a 3rd party/aftermarket screen, there is no way to copy this data and no way to get True Tone back... until you get fed up with the lack of true tone and go to Apple and pay the $279 + tax (for the X) for their screen.

Hope this helps.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2019 6:54 PM in response to SM_27

Just to test my theory... I swapped my wife's iPhone X screen, with my iPhone X screen (both OEM/Apple, never been repaired.)

True Tone option disappeared on both phones, after the swap.

Tried a hard reset and I also restored my phone from "new" and also from iTunes backup, no dice.

Swapped screens back and True Tone option reappeared.

From what I can tell online there are some vendors who have the tools (like Apple) to copy over the screen data from the old OEM to the new OEM screen, and it returns the True Tone option. This appears to only work on OEM replacements. If you go to a non-authorized Apple repair (or order one online to install yourself) and have them install a 3rd party/aftermarket screen, there is no way to copy this data and no way to get True Tone back... until you get fed up with the lack of true tone and go to Apple and pay the $279 + tax (for the X) for their screen.

Hope this helps.

Apr 24, 2019 10:39 AM in response to KiltedTim

This is untrue as far as voiding your entire warranty. Apple has changed their stance as far as aftermarket/3rd party screens.

If a phone is still under warranty. they will still service a hardware issue (as long as it is not related to a 3rd party screen.)

I have a X and I am wondering the same thing about the True Tone loss (or not.)

Once you're used to the True Tone display setting, it is hard to live without.

Apr 24, 2019 7:02 PM in response to deggie

Right, case-by-case... that was mentioned by the article. And as far as I can tell, the only reason they would NOT honor the warranty on the rest of the phone, is if there is obvious "tampering"/fraud. Like swapping logic boards or other internal components to try and trick Apple. If you truly replaced ONLY the screen and then, at a later time, had a hardware issue, I find it unlikely (as in my case) they would deny warranty service.

My non-OEM screen was working perfect. I was having charging/battery issues with my old iPhone 8, a couple months after my screen was replaced, and they went ahead and replaced the entire unit, including the aftermarket screen.

Prior to this internal memo, if they even saw a non original screen on a device, they would immediately tell you they wont service it, no matter the issue.

Apr 24, 2019 5:00 PM in response to Michael Black

Per a MacRumors article dated Feb 24, 2017, as well as first hand experience at an Apple retail store (after replacing my own screen.)

According to the article, there was in internal Apple memo which states, "When a customer with an iPhone that has a third-party display seeks a repair for a non-display issue, Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers have been advised to inspect the device for any fraud or tampering, and then swap out the device or replace the broken part based on Apple's in-warranty pricing. "

I would link the article, however I don't think inserting web links is allowed? I will try, using their own link tool. https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/24/third-party-iphone-screen-repairs-now-allowed/

True Tone & Screen Replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.