Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages no longer opens following update

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing

Application Specific Information:

dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:

Symbol not found: _OBJC_CLASS_$__TtCs12_SwiftObject

Referenced from: /Applications/Pages.app/Contents/MacOS/Pages

Expected in: /usr/lib/swift/libswiftCore.dylib

in /Applications/Pages.app/Contents/MacOS/Pages

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 31, 2019 6:14 AM

4 replies

Apr 1, 2019 4:14 PM in response to nward16

Greetings nward16,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It seems like there is a problem with the Pages app crashing and not opening. There are a couple things you can try that may be able to help. I would recommend you use this article to help troubleshoot the issue.

macOS Sierra: If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Take care.

Apr 2, 2019 3:01 AM in response to nward16

What specific version of Pages, and what specific version of Mojave?

• Single-click on the Pages application icon and then shift+command+i. What version is shown?
  • menu : About This Mac
    • 10.14.? What version? Is this a 10.14.4 or 10.14.5 beta release?
    • MacBook Pro (intro timeframe). What is inside the parentheses?

Now, some basic questions:

1. Have your removed, or deactivated any fonts prior to Pages crashing?
  2. Have you performed any Time Machine Restore (including an older version of Pages) prior to the crashing?
  3. Are you running any anti-virus, or have your run any so-called Mac "cleaner" category of application before the crash?
  4. Were you attempting to open a local document, or one on a remote server (iCloud Drive, Dropbox, Microsoft Office 365 Cloud services, NAS, etc.)? What kind of document? How large?
  5. Have you removed any operating system files to free storage space?
  6. What have you already tried to remedy the Pages crashes?

Apr 2, 2019 2:04 PM in response to VikingOSX

What specific version of Pages, and what specific version of Mojave?

• Single-click on the Pages application icon and then shift+command+i. What version is shown? It will not let me open this
  • menu : About This Mac
    • 10.14.? What version? Is this a 10.14.4 or 10.14.5 beta release? 10.14.4 Beta (18E174f)
    • MacBook Pro (intro timeframe). What is inside the parentheses? MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz, 1TB DDR3 Samsung SSD, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Now, some basic questions:

1. Have your removed, or deactivated any fonts prior to Pages crashing? No
  2. Have you performed any Time Machine Restore (including an older version of Pages) prior to the crashing? No - I upgraded to a 1TB SSD about a month ago, but pages worked fine after this transition
  3. Are you running any anti-virus, or have your run any so-called Mac "cleaner" category of application before the crash? - Yes, CleanMyMac, paid licence for about a month now
  4. Were you attempting to open a local document, or one on a remote server (iCloud Drive, Dropbox, Microsoft Office 365 Cloud services, NAS, etc.)? What kind of document? How large? - Tried many files, does not open under any circumstance
  5. Have you removed any operating system files to free storage space? - Not on purpose, maybe CleanMyMac cleared some?
  6. What have you already tried to remedy the Pages crashes? - Uninstalled Pages and reinstalled, restarted several times, uninstalled CleanMyMac, tried reinstalling Pages once more. Tried to reinstalled Mojave, unable to due to SSD not being APFS. Tried recovery mode to transfer SSD to APFS to no avail.

Apr 2, 2019 2:21 PM in response to nward16

We cannot support beta releases of Apple products on this open support community, as it is against the terms of the beta agreement, and the Apple Support Communities guidelines. There is no assurance that Pages v8.0 will work properly with any beta version of macOS.

I recommend that you replace that beta with the released version of macOS 10.14.4, and try installing and using Pages v8.0 there.

Pages no longer opens following update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.