Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote 9.0 (6194)

I've just updated to this version and strange things have been happening including what others have said, ie Keynote jumps to a different slide. Unfortunately Keynote is now crashing with alarming regularity after I've barely opened it, to the point that I had to export to Powerpoint and use it to do my presentation this morning. I have other meetings coming up next week and am worried that Keynote will be useless ... Apple please fix this bug!

Posted on Mar 31, 2019 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2019 5:27 PM

Hi there, RobbieToop!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you are having issues with Keynote crashing and I'm happy to help! Check out this article with steps for How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac to create a new user and test the issue in the new account to see if the issue is user specific or system wide. Also, let me know if this happens when you try to open a new presentation or when you try to open a saved one.

Let me know the results and have a great day!

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2019 5:27 PM in response to RobbieToop

Hi there, RobbieToop!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you are having issues with Keynote crashing and I'm happy to help! Check out this article with steps for How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac to create a new user and test the issue in the new account to see if the issue is user specific or system wide. Also, let me know if this happens when you try to open a new presentation or when you try to open a saved one.

Let me know the results and have a great day!

Apr 10, 2019 6:45 AM in response to Vincent Everts

I think it's a bug with Keynote and/or Mojave. My teammate hasn't updated to the latest Keynote, nor Mojave (she's still on High Sierra), and she has no issues with my Keynote files. But when I open them, most of them fail.

I wrote about it in a comment here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250276143?page=1

Workaround:

1. Put your Keynote file in iCloud (wait until it uploads).
  2. Sign in to iCloud in your browser.
  3. Find the file in iCloud Drive and click on it. It will open in Keynote in your browser.
  4. Click the spanner at the top.
  5. Click 'Download a copy'.
  6. You'll see 'Choose a download format'. Choose 'PowerPoint'.
  7. When it downloads, open in PPT and check formatting, transitions, animations. Some of mine changed.
  8. Present in PPT :o)

Apr 2, 2019 7:30 AM in response to RobbieToop

Keynote 9.0 has been acting weird on my desktop version. I keep getting this glitch where it will only export the first few frames of any movie or gif. Called apple support and we went they determined it was an issue with the file itself. We created a new file and it exported fine.

Until... i tried it a second time. And the glitch is back. Tried it again on a third file and same thing happened. It seems like the animated export only works the first time, then it seems to present this bug.

Apr 2, 2019 1:47 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi again, and thanks for putting me on the track to trying Keynote in a new account, which worked and made me look for a problem in the system in my original account, probably with the keynote plist ... which I couldn't find.

However ... I have now found it, deleted it and fixed my problem, ie Keynote works fine again!! ... here's how I did it ...

In the Finder Menu hold down the Option key (left from Command key) then click GO in the menu and look for Library (the only one which doesn't offer a keyboard shortcut), click on this then follow this path to the right ...

>Containers>com.apple.iWork.keynote>Data>Library>Preferences>com.apple.iWork.keynote.plist

Trash the com.apple.iWork.keynote.plist, empty trash then restart your Mac and Keynote should work fine again ... also all the transitions are once again razor sharp and smooth! Hope this helps ...

Apr 3, 2019 6:38 AM in response to RobbieToop

I have the same problem. Jumping to different slides and crashing. I tried the plist removal ploy and it isn't working for me. IT updated all my available machines to the new Keynote and they are all showing the same issue - so I now cannot give lectures in my classes without either crashing or jumping to other slides. I hope Apple gets on this soon. I need to see if things work on my iPad and I can temporarily show from there.

Apr 11, 2019 1:54 AM in response to RobbieToop

I'm really sorry for all of you that are still having issues with Keynote 9.0.1 (6196) which I've updated to and which now works fine - it is extremely frustrating when it keeps crashing ... then when it does work a bit you lose confidence and can't trust it not to crash in the middle of an important presentation!

Have any of you tried creating another admin account on your Mac then try Keynote within that ... it worked for me with Keynote 9.0 before I updated to 9.0.1 ... see the post above by alex_h1 on 1st April ... hope it works!!

Apr 11, 2019 4:16 AM in response to RobbieToop

Yes, I tried creating a new admin account on my Mac, but the files still wouldn't open in Keynote 9.0.1 for me. I also asked my colleague (who can still open the files on her High Sierra Mac with older Keynote) to copy/paste the slides into a new file, but no joy – the new file still has the same issues. It won't open. Apple are still investigating for me.

Keynote 9.0 (6194)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.