Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone X bad charging port

Recently my iphone x has been goin on and off on charging, and over the past week, it hasn’t been charging very well. I put in a new charger and it moves around in the charging port. Wondering if i would be able to bring it into apple for them to replace it for no charge. Or what are my options, Thanks!

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 1, 2019 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2019 10:55 PM

The lightning port may be clogged.

1. Turn your iPhone off. While cleaning, keep away from the power button so that you don’t turn it on again by accident. Safety first!
  2. Check inside the charging port for signs of gunk using the flashlight. You will probably see buildup on the contacts at the very end, but also in the grooves that run along each side of the port.
  3. Take an toothpick or other thin object (But do not use metal). Insert it into the charging port and scrape as much grime out as you can. It’s best to scrape the port, wipe down the toothpick. Be careful not to apply too much pressure, even if you’re using a toothpick. You don’t want the toothpick to break and cause a bigger problem. You also don’t want to damage the contacts by applying too much pressure.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2019 10:55 PM in response to Derkachd

The lightning port may be clogged.

1. Turn your iPhone off. While cleaning, keep away from the power button so that you don’t turn it on again by accident. Safety first!
  2. Check inside the charging port for signs of gunk using the flashlight. You will probably see buildup on the contacts at the very end, but also in the grooves that run along each side of the port.
  3. Take an toothpick or other thin object (But do not use metal). Insert it into the charging port and scrape as much grime out as you can. It’s best to scrape the port, wipe down the toothpick. Be careful not to apply too much pressure, even if you’re using a toothpick. You don’t want the toothpick to break and cause a bigger problem. You also don’t want to damage the contacts by applying too much pressure.

iphone X bad charging port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.