Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave 10.14.4 mouse stuttering

Since updating to 10.14.4 on a Mac mini 2018 I am encountering a stuttering performance of my USB-2 connected mouse.

I've already had issues with the Logitech Control Center software and Mojave right from the beginning, as LCC cannot detect the M500 Corded Mouse after system start or restart. Only workaround for this issue is to unplug and replug the mouse every time I (re-)boot the computer.

Now, since the 10.14.4 update, the cursor's movements stutters about every 4 seconds, which makes working with that computer really soul-destroying.

The issue is not limited to the Logitech USB-mouse, it happens with every other USB-mouse that I tried and also with a Wacom tablet. And it's not limited to USB either as it also happens with a Bluetooth Apple Magic Mouse.

Save Boot, resetting NVRAM/PRAM did not help.

(Mouse works fine on my Mac Pro 3,1 btw)

Anyone any further idea about the causes? Could this be a HDMI issue? Thanks in advance!

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 2, 2019 2:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2019 7:19 AM

Thanks again for your help.

As changing the HDMI cable did not fix the issue, I unplugged all but the necessary USB peripherals and found the culprit:

It's a "USB-C to 3-port USB 3.0" adapter from LMP which I need to connect a scanner and a printer to the Mac mini.

If I disconnect it, mouse movements are error free.

Issue came with 10.14.4 update and it seems to be related to the USB busses/controllers after all, probably the fix for the USB audio issues that were reported introduced USB errors on other peripherals now…

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2019 7:19 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks again for your help.

As changing the HDMI cable did not fix the issue, I unplugged all but the necessary USB peripherals and found the culprit:

It's a "USB-C to 3-port USB 3.0" adapter from LMP which I need to connect a scanner and a printer to the Mac mini.

If I disconnect it, mouse movements are error free.

Issue came with 10.14.4 update and it seems to be related to the USB busses/controllers after all, probably the fix for the USB audio issues that were reported introduced USB errors on other peripherals now…

Apr 2, 2019 3:23 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately this does not help, as the issue exists both with LCC 3.9.7 and even 3.9.8 (latest, just from 28-MAR-2019).

(The "non-detecting" issue only exists on the Mac mini with Mojave, same mouse works fine on MP 3,1 running El Capitan.

Most likely has to do with Logitechs driver and Mojave's security settings or the probably the T2 chip. Logitechs Customer Support was not helpful at all so far).

The stuttering issue just started after the 10.14.4 update and it appears to be quite a regular stutter every ~ 4 sec.

As it looks like skipped frames, I had the idea that it might probably be related to the graphic controller or HDMI, while it does not seem to be related to GPU drivers, as it's the same no matter if eGPU is running or just the internal Intel 630.

As it also exists with a Bluetooth Magic Mouse, it just does not seem to be connected to the USB busses.

Mojave 10.14.4 mouse stuttering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.