Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Links won’t open in app

Whenever I receive links through email or text they won’t open in their apps. Ex: if I get a link for amazon by text, the amazon app opens for less than a second and then opens the link in safari instead. If I hit the button at the top to go back to the amazon app, it goes to the “home” screen of amazon, not the item that was linked. This happens with all links that Should open in the apps downloaded on my device. This has only been happening for a couple weeks. I just downloaded the new update today to 12.2 to see if it would fix the problem, but it hasn’t. I have also already cleared my history. Same thing is happening on my iphone which I also updated and cleared the history.

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 2, 2019 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2019 6:49 AM

Greetings, Lulukate.

I see that links you receive go straight to Safari instead of opening the application when you select them. I'm happy to help you with this. I'll be focusing on your iPad. If the steps work, use them with your iPhone as well.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- If you haven't already, restart your iPad. Once it's returned to the Home screen, test the issue.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- If restarting your iPad didn't resolve the issue, please be sure to have a fresh backup to keep your personal information safe.

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- When an application isn't working as expected, a good step is deleting and reinstalling the app. Since there's nothing specific to delete on your iPad, I'd like for you to reinstall the iOS. The section titled "Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again" will walk you through all the steps to reinstall the iOS software on your device. See how links respond now.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2019 6:49 AM in response to Lulukate

Greetings, Lulukate.

I see that links you receive go straight to Safari instead of opening the application when you select them. I'm happy to help you with this. I'll be focusing on your iPad. If the steps work, use them with your iPhone as well.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- If you haven't already, restart your iPad. Once it's returned to the Home screen, test the issue.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- If restarting your iPad didn't resolve the issue, please be sure to have a fresh backup to keep your personal information safe.

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- When an application isn't working as expected, a good step is deleting and reinstalling the app. Since there's nothing specific to delete on your iPad, I'd like for you to reinstall the iOS. The section titled "Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again" will walk you through all the steps to reinstall the iOS software on your device. See how links respond now.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Links won’t open in app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.