Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I hate two step verification!

I purchased a ipad mini 5 last week. When starting the device it asked if I wanted to used two-step verification. I cannot turn it off. Hyperlink sent in e-mail to revert to previous security settings does not work.

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 3, 2019 6:46 AM

12 replies

Apr 3, 2019 9:08 AM in response to ShagCA

No, they are not the same. But you also cannot currently enroll in 2 step verification. The only people who can use 2 step verification are those who were already using it prior to iOS 11 (I think that was the time frame) and have not changed it to 2 factor authentication.

So if the OP enrolled in anything in the past two weeks, and got an email about it with a link to opt out, it has to be 2 factor authentication. You can no longer add 2 step verification to any AppleID.

Any legacy user with 2 step verification who enables 2 factor authentication on a new device is automatically un-enrolled in 2 step verification and cannot go back to it.

Apr 3, 2019 9:10 AM in response to Michael Black

OK, so one more time with feeling, it is two-factor that I agreed to when starting up my new ipad mini. The Apple e-mail allowing me to opt out was apparently intercepted by my Chrome spam filter (where I found it today) and when I moved it back into my inbox the hyperlink to the opt out feature was inactive. I really hate this feature.

Apr 3, 2019 9:28 AM in response to ShagCA

OK, here is a clip of the message from Apple -

If you didn’t enable two-factor authentication and believe someone else has access to your account, you can return to your previous security settings. This link and your Apple ID security questions will expire on April 10, 2019.

When I click on the highlighted text nothing happens and I see no way to find any address that was originally linked to the hypertext.

I hate two step verification!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.