Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I Unlock a TMobile XR to use on AT&T ?

Got a new iPhoneXR in a sealed box. Its locked w/T-Mobile & I want to use it on AT&T. T-Mobile says they won't unlock it w/o the original T-Mobile# which I don't have & they won't use the Serial/IMEI #'s. Suggestions or do I have a $1000 paperweight

iPhone XR

Posted on Apr 4, 2019 11:38 AM

5 replies

Apr 4, 2019 11:50 AM in response to KiltedTim

I got it at a government auction and its not returnable.

You would think T-Mobile would be a bit more accommodating though and at least identify the phone by its unique numbers (Serial and IMEI)? The T-Mobile rep stated upfront that she wanted to give good service even though I wasn't currently a T-Mobile customer. Now it seems I never will be !!

Apr 4, 2019 11:53 AM in response to DadsWD40

It's entirely possible, probable even, that the original purchaser of the phone skipped out on their contractual obligation. As far as T-Mobile is concerned, that would disqualify it from being unlocked unless that individual settles their debt to T-Mobile.

It may be possible to get them to unlock it by activating it on T-Mobile and maintaining service with them for a period of time (I believe their requirement is 40 days, but don't quote me on it) then requesting an unlock. If it's flagged as stolen, however, that won't work either.

Apr 4, 2019 11:58 AM in response to DadsWD40

How do you know its locked? Have you tried your sim card in it? If you have not yet opened the box, There's a slim possibility it is not actually locked to T-Mobile.

If it was bought directly from an Apple store rather than from a T-Mobile carrier store, it may be unlocked.

Only real way to find out is to open it and try your AT&T sim in it.

If its locked, it will issue an error, but nothing else will happen. Its worth a shot.

Can I Unlock a TMobile XR to use on AT&T ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.