You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari keeps opening new tabs

Lately when I’ve been using safari on my iPad, when I click on a link to a webpage, it will open that page in a new tab. I find this very annoying but can’t figure out how to stop it. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

iPad Air 2, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 2:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2019 1:28 PM

Hi Wakko101,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you'd like to view links in webpages in Safari without opening a new tab each time.

If you'd like to stay on the current tab whenever you open a link, go to Settings > Safari > Open Links, then tap "In Background." I hope that helps.

For more information, take a look here: Use tabs in Safari on iPad

Take care!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 6, 2019 1:28 PM in response to Wakko101

Hi Wakko101,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you'd like to view links in webpages in Safari without opening a new tab each time.

If you'd like to stay on the current tab whenever you open a link, go to Settings > Safari > Open Links, then tap "In Background." I hope that helps.

For more information, take a look here: Use tabs in Safari on iPad

Take care!

Apr 10, 2019 1:57 PM in response to Wakko101

Hey there, Wakko101,

Thank you for getting back to us. A couple of things to check out:

-Which iOS version is listed under Settings > General > About? If you have an update available, be sure to back up; then complete the update: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

-Under Settings > Safari, under the section titled "General," do you then see the option for "Open New Tabs in Background?" If that option is enabled, go ahead and turn it off. Then restart your iPad and test the issue.

Let us know if those steps help!

Safari keeps opening new tabs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.