Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

32-bit to 64-bit Change

I've followed all the instructions, yet cannot tell who the developer is. Is it the word that follows "Kind"? If so, how do I contact Intel?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 10:17 AM

Intel as Kind means they are all designed for Intel processors, as opposed to Power PC processors.

Its a pointless specification at this point, but back when the Intel Macs were first introduced they were for a while able to run Power PC apps.

The actual developer of that application is Epson as evidenced by the "Signed By" line. The application belongs to some kind of Epson printer or scanner or other hardware.

If you no longer have one of those, then you can remove it.

For actual Apple apps they should be updated to 64 bit or removed from the next macOS version.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2019 10:17 AM in response to PemMom

Intel as Kind means they are all designed for Intel processors, as opposed to Power PC processors.

Its a pointless specification at this point, but back when the Intel Macs were first introduced they were for a while able to run Power PC apps.

The actual developer of that application is Epson as evidenced by the "Signed By" line. The application belongs to some kind of Epson printer or scanner or other hardware.

If you no longer have one of those, then you can remove it.

For actual Apple apps they should be updated to 64 bit or removed from the next macOS version.

Apr 5, 2019 10:15 AM in response to Sbrdyk

Have a read of the following, might give you a little info on the subject.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

https://www.imore.com/64-bit-mac-app-transition-what-you-need-know

I’m not sure if 32bit Apps will just stop working when the date finally comes or whether those apps will just suffer a performance hit, but what you can do now is look for and update as many as possible while both are still supported.

You need to search for any 32bit Apps that you still use (see the articles) and then go to the developers website to see if they offer a 64bit alternative, if they do it might be wise to update. As babowa has noted, you can ignore Apple software because they will probably update around the same time of the next OS change.

That’s my view on the situation, but others may add more.

Hope this helps.

Apr 5, 2019 9:58 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for your prompt reply and for the cutoff date. However, no Epson printer or scanner is involved. There are a total of nine 32-bit items in my MacBook Pro, that need updating to 64 bits. They include Control Center, InkServer, LOGINserver, USBserver, and more. Not all of them mention Epson, but they all mention Intel as the "Kind", whatever that means.

Apr 5, 2019 10:20 AM in response to PemMom

Apparently you have/had a Brothers printer. You would have to contact their support for this.

And, there is no requirement to upgrade to the newOS the day it is released, so take your time. Developers may not release new versions until the new OS is out. And some may not if the device is older, they will want you to buy a new one.

32-bit to 64-bit Change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.