Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emojis missing from iPad

I have the second to the latest iPad and I’ve noticed my emojis are missing from the bottom. I have my keyboard added in settings and emojis keyboard added. I’m sure it is something simple but I’ve been unable to find anything here or Google. Thanks in advance.

iPad, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 6, 2019 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2019 8:48 AM

OK then. Go back to Settings > Keyboards and this time remove the Emoji Keyboard. Then reboot your iPad. Then go back and add back the Emoji Keyboard. Give that a try.

If that doesn't work, the next step to try is to reset all settings. For that, you'll need to know your Wifi password as it's going to have to be set up again in Settings > Wifi. To do this, Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2019 8:48 AM in response to SZQ_VCU

OK then. Go back to Settings > Keyboards and this time remove the Emoji Keyboard. Then reboot your iPad. Then go back and add back the Emoji Keyboard. Give that a try.

If that doesn't work, the next step to try is to reset all settings. For that, you'll need to know your Wifi password as it's going to have to be set up again in Settings > Wifi. To do this, Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.

Apr 6, 2019 9:20 AM in response to lobsterghost1

And it is gone again :(

I think I know what the issue is which is good but it is a bit frustrating. I have an iPad keyboard by Kensington. When I get the emojis to work again, as soon as I use the Kensington keyboard, it disappears.

But definitely what works for other situations is deleting the emoji keyboard in settings, rebooting, then adding the emoji keyboard.

Apr 6, 2019 9:31 AM in response to SZQ_VCU

You didn't say you were using an external keyboard. I could have made this SO SIMPLE had I known that.

When you use an external keyboard, from the external keyboard, you cannot use emoji's from the keyboard. If your keyboard has function keys on the top row, see if one near the #4 key has a picture of a keyboard. If it does, simply taping that key when in messages, brings up the onscreen keyboard, so you can add an emoji. When you're done and want to go back to the Bluetooth keyboard, tap that key again and you'll be back to your external keyboard.

If your keyboard doesn't offer the option to bring up the onscreen keyboard, you might want to check out Bluetooth keyboards which do offer this feature. I use a Bluetooth keyboard with my iPad, but always make sure it has the onscreen keyboard key.

Emojis missing from iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.