Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri stops working after security update 2019-002 10.13.6

So I recently got a iMac 21.5in mid 2011 and upgraded from Lion to High Sierra. After updating to Sierra I did more updates and the security updates 2019-002 kills Siri for me. I did a fresh install (2 times) again and before doing the security update Siri worked. After doing update 2019-002 Siri stopped working. When I mean stopped working, I click on Siri on the top right and on the dock and nothing appears and no sounds what so ever. I think security update 2019-002 for High Sierra is messing with Siri? Does anyone else have this problem with their iMac 2011 or newer? I've tried repairing the disk as well and did nothing. Please let me know if you know how to fix this. I have attached a picture with the updates I did that caused Siri to stop working.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 7, 2019 1:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2019 1:39 PM

OK, wish we knew the Siri answer for sure though.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2019 1:39 PM in response to 19kweber

OK, wish we knew the Siri answer for sure though.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Apr 7, 2019 11:26 AM in response to 19kweber

If you want to try it again, try getting the Security update via download, then install it in Safe Mode...

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1997?locale=en_US

Post a report from this please...

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Apr 7, 2019 2:05 PM in response to 19kweber

Great news, might try trashing these in the original account...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Assistant/com.apple.siri.applications.laststate.plist

And this folder...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Containers/com.apple.SiriNCService/

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1 From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.

2 In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Method 2:

1 Go to the Finder (or desktop).

2 Hold the Option key on your keyboard, and click the Go menu at the top of the screen.

3 With the Go menu open, you'll notice that pressing and releasing Option will display or hide the Library choice in this menu.

4 Select Library from the Go menu (while holding down Option) to access the hidden folder.

Siri stops working after security update 2019-002 10.13.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.