Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Un-sync iMac and iPad?

How can I un-sync my iMac and iPad? For some reason, my iMac's Mail program is deleting email that is a week or more older, in sync with my iPad.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 8, 2019 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2019 12:49 PM

Where you may have an issue is if you have the same email accounts

on both devices and the email account is IMAP.

In IMAP mail servers, all mail resides on the server and no matter what

device you log into those mail accounts with, they will seem "synced".

You can elect to have mail stored locally as well, but they will still "sync".

Basically, every device is looking at the same "mailboxes" with IMAP.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2019 12:49 PM in response to zigzag7

Where you may have an issue is if you have the same email accounts

on both devices and the email account is IMAP.

In IMAP mail servers, all mail resides on the server and no matter what

device you log into those mail accounts with, they will seem "synced".

You can elect to have mail stored locally as well, but they will still "sync".

Basically, every device is looking at the same "mailboxes" with IMAP.

Apr 8, 2019 8:25 AM in response to zigzag7

It sounds like you were using iTunes to sync the two devices. I would strongly recommend using iCloud to so this, this automates the process and will make like much easier for you. If you need help setting up iCloud please refer to the link that has instructions for your devices.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208681

If you need further assistance, if the Mac is less than 90 days old you also have complimentary AppleCare telephone support that you can use. If you purchased AppleCare, you can call them after the 90 days has expired for further help. You can learn about this in https://support.apple.com/complimentary

Apr 8, 2019 8:17 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I honestly don't know how they got synced. When I bought this new iMac, I plugged my iPad in to load in some photos onto the new iMac, and somehow the Mail programs must have got synced. I didn't do anything to accomplish that; it just happened. Since then, my Mail on my iMac deletes any inbox mail that is older than a week or so, in sync with the inbox mail on my iPad. Strangely enough, my outboxes are not synced, though. This is so frustrating!

Un-sync iMac and iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.