Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It's not letting me change my encryption password. Help!

Setting up an iphone XR and it's not letting me restore without an iphone backup password. I've never set one up and it's not letting me reset one.

iPhone XR, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 9, 2019 8:21 PM

2 replies

Apr 11, 2019 9:21 AM in response to courtneyjmoore

Hello courtneyjmoore,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that you are unable to restore an iTunes backup to your new iPhone Xr because you are being prompted for a backup password which you did not create. You will not be able to use the iTunes backup unless you enter the correct password.

About encrypted backups in iTunes - Apple Support

"There is no way to recover your information or turn off Encrypt Backup if you lose or forget the password."

In a situation where you do not know the password, you will need to set your iPhone Xr up as new and manually add your content back to your device. When you set up your iPhone as new you can sign into your iCloud account and any content like your contacts, calendars, and photos that are stored in iCloud will sync to your iPhone.

This article will provide you with the steps on how to redownload your purchases:

Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the App Store, iTunes Store, and Apple Books - Apple Support

Best Regards.

It's not letting me change my encryption password. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.