Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K no sound through stereo

Just upgraded Apple TV from second generation to 4K. and I added an ultra high speed HDMI cable from Belkin. This set up will not play audio through the stereo. But it will play audio with the old original HDMI cable. Additionally, my MX-900 universal remote does not control the new Apple TV via RF. I need to use the black remote IR and line of sight. I’m not sure the Geek Squad will know what to do. Thx

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 12

Posted on Apr 11, 2019 7:31 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 11, 2019 1:23 PM in response to billy767

You will need audio equipment with HDMI input for Apple TV (4th generation or later). Alternatively, you could use an HDMI audio extractor to split the signal in video through HDMI, and audio through RCA or optical. Another alternative is connecting Apple TV to the TV, then connect the TV to the audio equipment.

The location of the IR receptor is different for the 4K model. On the 2nd generation the IR receptor was opposite the HDMI port (slightly right of center). On the 4K model, the IR receptor is opposite the ethernet port (to the left). Hence the IR repeater (“flasher”) should be attached on the corresponding spot.

Apr 12, 2019 6:34 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thx for your reply. For my system, what ultimately worked was just changing audio format in settings from automatic to Dolby 5.1. Now the sound plays through the speakers and curiously my DVD sound is controllable again.

As as far as the IR sensor, I have tried numerous positions for the transmitter. None seem to work with the universal remote. So for now I am left with using the black remote line of sight IR, or getting help to reprogram the universal remote for the Apple TV 4K

Apple TV 4K no sound through stereo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.