Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone is not sorting (imap) email by date

i can find a particular email if I search for it but it does not show up in the date sorted inbox. Any ideas?

iPhone XS

Posted on Apr 12, 2019 11:05 AM

3 replies

Apr 13, 2019 4:22 PM in response to joejoewash

Hello joejoewash,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to find an email when sorted by date in the Mail app on your iPhone. If you haven't already, please force close the Mail app and restart your iPhone as iOS clears cached data and does other system optimizations when you turn your iPhone off and on. Then, make sure your iPhone is up to date, as the updates contain stability fixes that can resolve issues like yours, as well as important security updates to keep your iPhone safe.

Update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Search for email in Mail on iPhone

Cheers!

Apr 16, 2019 7:07 AM in response to joejoewash

Thanks for replying, joejoewash, and that additional info, it really helps! At this point, we would like you to reinstall iOS on your device; this will help us isolate the situation further. Reinstalling iOS should not affect any of your data, but it is always a best practice to make sure you have a current backup in either iTunes or iCloud.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once you have a current backup, follow the steps from the "If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up" section in this article:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen

Use the “Update” option and not “Restore” and these steps will reinstall iOS. Keep in mind that these steps were written for a different issue, but they will still help us isolate the situation further.

Have a great day and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

Apr 13, 2019 10:53 PM in response to Teddy_B

The iOS on my iPhone X is up to date with 12.2.   I have hard quit mail and have restarted the iPhone.   It still does not sort the email completely by date.   I’ve done a hard restart on the iphone and relaunched mail and still does not sort correctly.   I logged into the Comcast server directly and verified the correctly sorted email. Then repeated the hard restart, and the email is still not sorted correctly. Any other ideas?

iPhone is not sorting (imap) email by date

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.