Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes Library keeps resetting to default location

Hello,

I have setup a synology nas in order to move my library. It all seemed to be working fine except for the fact that when i restart my mac the library resets to the default location instead of the one on my nas.

Any hints?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 12, 2019 1:28 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 5, 2019 1:01 AM in response to giacom8

Here is the Mac equivalent: Repair security permissions for iTunes for Mac - Apple Community. iTunes behaviour on NAS can be unpredictable. It can work fine for some people some of the time, but if it goes wrong the results can be painful. I'd generally recommend the library is on local external storage with NAS used for a backup. In other circumstances I might suggest AV software as a possible cause for the .tmp files but I assume that isn't relevant here.

tt2

May 4, 2019 11:44 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for this.

I have left the library on the nas and it now seems to be working fine.

I have now encountered another issue which seems to be permission related. There is a multitude of temp files being generated in the itunes folder. I have seen you have posted a link for a possible windows solution. I have tried mimicking on my mac but for some reason when I try to change permissions on that folder it won't allow me. I simply hear a sort of error sound and nothing happens. Would you happen to have a workaround?

Many Thanks

May 7, 2019 2:48 AM in response to turingtest2

many thanks for this.

fwiw... as far as synology is concerned i have found that changing the media server to asset upnp and converting all the files from alac and wav to aiff has resolved a lot of the issues i was facing with the Itunes interaction.

am still ironing out a few glitches but am pleased with current results.

Itunes Library keeps resetting to default location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.