Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV subtitles keep coming back!

On my ATV 4, if I turn on the subtitles in one app, they’re on in all apps. I can turn them off for what I’m watching, but when the next video comes on, they’re back and I have to turn them off again. After several days of this dance, eventually they stay off. This has been going on for years and is highly annoying. How do I get them to only stay in for the movie/episode I am watching and then stay off until I summon them again?

Additionally, the subtitles being on is forced to all devices, meaning if they’re on in Netflix on the ATV4, if I start watching Food Network on my iPad, the subtitles are on.

Example: If I watch a TV episode on Netflix and turn the subtitles on, they’re on for HGTV, Plex, Amazon, etc. If I start Netflix back the next day on a different series, they’re still on. If I turn them off, they come back on the next episode. I turn them off again, only to have them come back on the next episode.

Apple TV 4, tvOS 12

Posted on Apr 13, 2019 5:27 AM

2 replies

Apr 13, 2019 7:52 AM in response to hacknfrack

Change the subtitles or audio language for iTunes Store movies and TV shows - Apple Support

Use subtitles and captioning on Apple TV - Apple TV User Guide - Apple Support

There are global settings for initial preference, which can be deviated from on the currently playing title, using the Info overlay.

• Some apps provide custom caption controls for videos. If you don't see caption controls when watching a video from an app, contact the app developer for more information.
  • If you're using AirPlay to stream your movie from an iOS device or iTunes on a computer to an Apple TV, you can change the audio language or accessibility features from your iOS device or computer as you watch.

AppleTV subtitles keep coming back!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.