Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't transfer music off of old iPhone

Last month I upgraded from iPhone 7 to XS. I had the 7 for a couple of years and got a new MacBook Pro during that time. I don't really use iTunes on my computer and I didn't notice that my music has never synced with it.

I did sign in to my iTunes account and this computer is authorized, but there are only ~300 songs in iTunes on my computer and there are 2600 songs on my phone. I've tried "transfer downloads" (the stuff not transferring is older music, most of it off of CDs), my old phone has been backed up to the cloud (but not the music?). I know there are apps I can pay for transfer this stuff (really don't wanna do that), but there has GOT to be a way to get this music back in my iTunes library, right?

The 7 isn't on iOS 12 because I'm afraid to update and lose all of my music.

Any ideas?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 13, 2019 9:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2019 6:14 AM

See Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device - Apple Community. I'd generally start with iFunBox (free) for media recovery.

tt2

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 14, 2019 6:24 AM in response to MorganDID

Syncing music using iTunes only works one way, from computer to iDevice, I believe that’s a carry over from old days of ripping cd’s to have you music on portable devices (click wheel iPod’s).

You can obtain software that will copy the contents off the iDevice to the computer, but the reason Apple never provided such was I believe due to copyright law.

As a general rule if you are ripping a lot of music it’s good practice to every now and then to copy the iTunes Music Library to a portable drive. That way if you every get rid of the computer you still have the mp3’s, just a thought for the future.

Can't transfer music off of old iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.