Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos App File Structure

Hello,

I recently imported all my photos in to the photos app on my iMac, what I'm trying to do is now export these to save them on my NAS, when I right click on the photos library in finder and select "Show Package Contents" the "Masters" folder sorts the images into folders based on the date imported instead of the timestamp the photos have. Is there a way to change this so it uses the date the photo was taken instead? Im running macOS Mojave on a 2017 iMac.

Thanks in advance

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 14, 2019 5:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2019 12:31 PM

When you export the photos from Photos using "File > Export" and select the "Subfolder Format: Moment Name", the exported photos will be saved in folder s named like the moments - the folder name will include the location and the capture date.

2 replies

Apr 15, 2019 11:01 AM in response to oscarmorgan1

One should not be rummaging around via the Finder in the library package. If you want to see all of the photos in chronological order by date taken, either ascending or descending you need to do that in Photos.

Create a smart album as follows to show all of the items in the library:

Then using the View ➙ Sort menu select the order which suits your needs:

Then export the originals via the File ➙ Export ➙ Export XXX unmodified originals... menu option:

Photos App File Structure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.