Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing text "draws" characters/letters together

Hi,

For some reason, when editing text in iMovie now, it will draw the characters together so that they're basically on top of each other. Say that I create a new text on a few frames, everything looks as it should. If I go back and edit it, it will "pull" the characters together toward the middle so that the letters overlap.

I have tried resetting my preferences but it didn't help with the issue, reinstallation didn't help either.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 15, 2019 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2019 9:07 AM

Hi,

I have not seen the issue you mention reported on this forum. I haven't been able to replicate it on my Mac Book pro running iMovie 10.1.11 and Mojave. If you can post a screen shot, that might help. However, sometimes titles or fonts can get corrupted. Also, sometimes third party fonts that may have been added to the font list don't work properly.

You have already unsuccessfully tried the deleting preferences procedure and doing a reinstall. Those are the first things to try.

Having no luck, try using different titles and different fonts and see if the issue replicates. Try also creating a new project and trying some fonts and titles there.

If you haven't done so yet, update to current iMovie 10.1.11 and Mojave 10.14.4.

In case it is a font issue, try validating your fonts. To do that, go to Applications/Font Book. Select all of the fonts as a batch and then do a File/Validate Fonts. A box will appears showing any fonts that are defective. You can also individually validate fonts by selecting only one. You can Edit/Disable any that are found defective.

Other common diagnostic procedures are:

1. Open iMovie in a new library.
  2. Open iMovie in a new user account, such as the Guest account on your Mac.
  3. Boot up in Safe Mode (see Finder help menu instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode.

Hopefully you will be able to solve the issue by doing the above.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2019 9:07 AM in response to splsupport

Hi,

I have not seen the issue you mention reported on this forum. I haven't been able to replicate it on my Mac Book pro running iMovie 10.1.11 and Mojave. If you can post a screen shot, that might help. However, sometimes titles or fonts can get corrupted. Also, sometimes third party fonts that may have been added to the font list don't work properly.

You have already unsuccessfully tried the deleting preferences procedure and doing a reinstall. Those are the first things to try.

Having no luck, try using different titles and different fonts and see if the issue replicates. Try also creating a new project and trying some fonts and titles there.

If you haven't done so yet, update to current iMovie 10.1.11 and Mojave 10.14.4.

In case it is a font issue, try validating your fonts. To do that, go to Applications/Font Book. Select all of the fonts as a batch and then do a File/Validate Fonts. A box will appears showing any fonts that are defective. You can also individually validate fonts by selecting only one. You can Edit/Disable any that are found defective.

Other common diagnostic procedures are:

1. Open iMovie in a new library.
  2. Open iMovie in a new user account, such as the Guest account on your Mac.
  3. Boot up in Safe Mode (see Finder help menu instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode.

Hopefully you will be able to solve the issue by doing the above.

-- Rich

Editing text "draws" characters/letters together

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.