Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving photos to folders without duplicating

I move my photo to a new folder via photos using my iPad but it keeps duplicating.

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 15, 2019 11:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2019 12:09 AM

I wish I had the option, when moving photos to folders I’ve created, of either having them stay in the “all photos” folder or completely removing them from the “all photos” folder.

I never know if I’ve move photos to a folder or not, creating duplicate photos in folders.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2019 12:09 AM in response to belto

I wish I had the option, when moving photos to folders I’ve created, of either having them stay in the “all photos” folder or completely removing them from the “all photos” folder.

I never know if I’ve move photos to a folder or not, creating duplicate photos in folders.

Apr 16, 2019 4:36 AM in response to Dar613

That is simply not possible, since the All Photos album is showing always all photos - that is its purpose.

But you could add all recently imported photos to a custom album - My Last Import.

If you distribute your photos from your own "My Last Import" album to other albums, you can remove each photo from my Last Import after you filed it into one of your albums. When your own My Last Import is empty, you will know, that you will have files all photos in some albums.

Another possibility would be to use the favorite heart as a flag.

I only add favorites to albums anyway. when I see the favorite badge ♡ on a photo, I know it is already in some album. The photo without the favorite badge still need attention. I either add them to an album as favorites for some purpose or they will be deleted sooner or later.

Apr 15, 2019 10:30 PM in response to belto

Do you mean, you are adding photos to an album and they are still shown in the original album?

Albums do not store photos. All photos are stored only once in your library. The photos in albums are not duplicates. Albums are just referencing the photos in the library. You can add a photo to many albums without creating duplicates.

If you want to "Move" a photo from one album you created to another of your own albums, you have to remove the photo from manually from the first album, after you added it to the other album. You can only remove phots from albums you create yourself. You cannot remove photos from the albums created by Photos for you. These albums are created auto magically from all photos in your library, based on rules, like smart albums on a Mac. You would have to delete the photo from the library to remove it from the predefined albums.

Moving photos to folders without duplicating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.