Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do the sleep sensors in Macbook Pro 2016/17 work?

On older Mac laptops, placing a magnet near the steep sensors sleeps the Mac. However, on newer Macs, putting magnets on the sleep sensors won't sleep Mac Mac, such as closing the lid does. How do sleep sensors work then? I did many tests with different laptops (12", 13" 2016/2017) etc, I know where the sensors are, but they won't sleep the Mac, not even putting a magnet on each sensor.

Any clarification much welcome.

Posted on Apr 15, 2019 3:55 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 15, 2019 4:54 PM in response to AntonioMS

AntonioMS wrote:

On older Mac laptops, placing a magnet near the steep sensors sleeps the Mac. However, on newer Macs, putting magnets on the sleep sensors won't sleep Mac Mac, such as closing the lid does. How do sleep sensors work then? I did many tests with different laptops (12", 13" 2016/2017) etc, I know where the sensors are, but they won't sleep the Mac, not even putting a magnet on each sensor.

Any clarification much welcome.

A random curiosity or a technical support question(?)

Magnets in devices might cause your Mac notebook computer to sleep ...

Power button: Press to turn on your Mac or wake it from sleep. Press and hold for 1.5 seconds to put your Mac to sleep. or from the dropdown menu >Sleep

Mac keyboard shortcuts - Apple Supp

If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected - Apple Support

Use the Energy Saver settings on your Mac - Apple Support

Set a startup, wake, sleep, restart, or shutdown time ... - Apple Support

How do the sleep sensors in Macbook Pro 2016/17 work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.