Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TextEdit not responding or very slow with macOS Mojave

Since a few days, TextEdit takes minutes to respond, save or edit. Working on up-to-date macOS Mojave (10.14.4) on iMac 21.5 late 2013. It's not a disk space issue.

Any clue or advice?

Posted on Apr 16, 2019 1:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2019 10:00 AM

Many thanks for your answer.

In fact, I started a scan on the hard disk with the disk utility, and it seems to me that the problem has been solved since yesterday, right after that.

My problem appeared on all TextEdit application files, all in plain text format (none in rich format). Other applications also seemed slower than before: printing function, Google Chrome browser...

I think the repair of the disc put an end to these slowdowns.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2019 10:00 AM in response to chris_g1

Many thanks for your answer.

In fact, I started a scan on the hard disk with the disk utility, and it seems to me that the problem has been solved since yesterday, right after that.

My problem appeared on all TextEdit application files, all in plain text format (none in rich format). Other applications also seemed slower than before: printing function, Google Chrome browser...

I think the repair of the disc put an end to these slowdowns.

Apr 17, 2019 8:48 AM in response to sebastienbrochot

Hello sebastienbrochot,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. I understand you may be having an issue with TextEdit on your Mac, and I'm happy to help out.

Does this happen with every document you work with in TextEdit, or a specific document?

Do you notice similar behavior in any other apps?

Out of curiosity, are you using iCloud Drive on your Mac? You can check by clicking Apple menu () > System Preferences > iCloud: Set up iCloud Drive

Have you restarted your Mac since this started happening? If not, click Apple menu () > Restart and test it out.

If the issue persists, you can narrow things down with two tests. First, boot your Mac into safe mode. This runs a diagnostic/repair and prevents some items from launching: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. Once you boot into safe mode and reach your desktop, see how TextEdit performs and click Apple menu () > Restart to get back to normal.

You can also test this in a temporary administrator account to determine if you have a system-wide or user-specific issue: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac. Once you create the test account, log in and test TextEdit. Depending on the results, you may find steps in the link above that will help to further troubleshoot the issue.

Cheers!

TextEdit not responding or very slow with macOS Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.