Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I think my iphone 7 has "loop disease" (audio call issues, headphone issues, reboot issues)

My iPhone 7 has a problem that I believe to be commonly known as "loop disease".

It started with an intermittent problem with voice calls - I couldn't hear the anything, and the person on the other end of the line could not hear me. I tried to restart my phone to attempt to solve this problem but it then did not reboot (stuck on the black screen with white apple logo). I updated my phone to rectify enable the phone to reboot (albeit very slowly) but this did not solve the voice call problem. In addition, following this update a new problem arose - I'm now unable to use the headphones. The phone does not recognise that the headphones are plugged in and when you play music the sound comes from the speaker on the phone not the headphones. Also unable to FaceTime audio call, unable to record voice memos. If I turn the phone off the only way of getting it back on again is to restore to factory settings - not ideal! I have restored as a new phone - does not solve the problem, I have restored from a backup - does not solve the problem.

Speaking to the support team they seem to think there's a problem with the audio/headphone jack. Seems like a hardware problem to me - I'm concerned that this is a known issue for Apple - how should I proceed? I don't want to buy a replacement phone.

Thanks.

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 16, 2019 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2019 11:52 PM

I had same problem and spent 15 minutes on phone with apple,they act like it’s the first issue they have seen like this.

just out of warranty

Similar questions

25 replies

Apr 16, 2019 1:02 PM in response to LAG31

A boot loop is a symptom not a disease.

There is an iPhone 7 program for phones getting no service. Lightning connector failing would be a hardware problem. I take it Apple already offered you an out-of-warranty replacement and you don't want to do this. Your other options are to find a reputable 3rd party repair site and have them replace the Lightning connector or buy a new phone. Keep in mind that if you have a 3rd party shop do the work you may forfeit any future service from Apple on that iPhone.

Apr 16, 2019 1:27 PM in response to deggie

Hi Deggie thank you for your reply.

I refer you to the multiple articles out there about "loop disease" - allegedly a problem with iPhone 7 similar to the "touch disease" problem with iPhone 6.

I don't have a problem with "lack of service". I have service. I just cannot hear anything when I make a call, and the recipient cannot hear me. The speaker icon is also greyed out.

The lightening connector works fine for charging up the phone. The headphones are not recognised - ie when I play music, I just hear it playing through the phone speaker. Therefore I don't think it's a lightening connector problem.

Apple have not offered a replacement.... appointment at Genius Bar on Thurs. I'm considering 3rd party repair. I believe the issue probably lies with the Audio IC. Any thoughts?

This all started following an update - I'm not particularly pleased about that.

Apr 16, 2019 1:33 PM in response to LAG31

There are multiple articles out there about aliens running the government. Are those also true? There are many things that can cause a boot loop and they have been around prior to the iPhone 7. Again, they are a symptom.

You said earlier it didn't charge. Now you say it will charge and the headphones don't work. But the speakers are working so it will not be an audio IC. Have you tried a flashlight and a toothpick and cleaned the Lightning port? If the speaker icon is greyed out how are you hearing the speaker when you hear music playing through it? Or is it just the top speaker?

All of this happening following an update could be coincidence or the update highlighted an existing problem. Make your Genius bar appointment and let them test it.

Apr 16, 2019 2:01 PM in response to deggie

Yes thanks, I'm aware of that, hence the inverted commas when I mentioned "loop disease".

https://****

I don't think I mentioned charging at all in my initial post (see above). Charging never been a problem - Lightening port not the issue.

Re: speakers - I can play music through the phone but not headphones. Speaker icon greyed out when making calls - issue with sound is with audio calls. In addition unable to record or play voice memos. Audio problem somewhere - I still think Audio IC is involved here. Not been rectified by update (via iTunes) and restoring as a new phone. Update has triggered this.

Fingers crossed the "Genius" can solve this...

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Sep 2, 2019 3:11 PM in response to anto97

You should if you’re under warranty but it may cost a small fee (but nothing compared to the $350 they told me it would outside of warranty). Just went through this, at the Genius Bar, several of us had the same issue. They admitted it’s a common issue with the 7 but Apple isn’t calling it a recall because it could be because of general wear and tear issue. A couple of us found it odd that it happened after we updated our iOS. We were super frustrated, ended up not opting to get mine replaced since I am due for an upgrade in a month, out of warranty and didn’t want to risk the same issue with another 7.

I think my iphone 7 has "loop disease" (audio call issues, headphone issues, reboot issues)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.