Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google requires completing authentication in Safari

I’m having great trouble trying to login to my Gmail account in Mail after the upgrade to Mojave 10.14.4 recently.

I’ve even removed my Gmail account hoping to re-add it again, but to no avail.

Below are the screenshots of the process that I had to go through.

I had no issues until the FINAL STEP, where I had to allow macOS the permission to “Read, compose, send and permanently delete all your email from Gmail, etc"

Anyone in their right mind would definitely not grant macOS that permission.

As such, I cancelled it and because of that, I couldn’t progress further.

After reading so many similar complaints on the internet and trying various methods to re-add my Gmail account in Mail, I really don’t know what else to do.

Many experts opined that this is because of a bug in Mojave 10.14.4

I hope you can help me resolve this ASAP. Thanks

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 19, 2019 1:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2019 11:07 AM

"Anyone in their right mind would definitely not grant macOS that permission."

How else are you supposed to use any mail client, like Apple Mail?

An e-mail client will need to connect with your account using IMAP and that, by definition, means that what you have on your mac mimics the contents of your account on the server. If you do NOT allow deleting messages, moving messages, etc, then at most Mail would work as a viewer, but you could not use it as you normally would. If that is how you feel, use only Gmail's webmail interface.

I download my messages, file them in mailboxes and, yes, delete a lot of them (either because they are useless spam, or simply because they've achieved their purpose and I don't need to keep them). And I do that using my preferred e-mail client, Mail. Who doesn't do that?

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2019 11:07 AM in response to pierrot jones

"Anyone in their right mind would definitely not grant macOS that permission."

How else are you supposed to use any mail client, like Apple Mail?

An e-mail client will need to connect with your account using IMAP and that, by definition, means that what you have on your mac mimics the contents of your account on the server. If you do NOT allow deleting messages, moving messages, etc, then at most Mail would work as a viewer, but you could not use it as you normally would. If that is how you feel, use only Gmail's webmail interface.

I download my messages, file them in mailboxes and, yes, delete a lot of them (either because they are useless spam, or simply because they've achieved their purpose and I don't need to keep them). And I do that using my preferred e-mail client, Mail. Who doesn't do that?

Google requires completing authentication in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.