Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost all photos since 2015 when changed over to Mojave OS don't upgrade

I am as frustrated as ****. After being pushed to upgrade the operating system to Mojave OS I have just discovered that I have lost all my photos from 2015 and that is off my external hard drive as well. Since my system was close to full (apple give very little storage) I went ahead and more my photos to hard drive and deleted all my documents that I had doubled up.

I want to tell everyone not to upgrade their system. Apple seem not to care and give very little help with this issue. I am not the only one this has happened to.

What to do? have they gone?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 20, 2019 3:51 AM

4 replies

Apr 21, 2019 9:05 PM in response to Barney-15E

Hi Barney,

I have lost all photos since 2015 on photo since I downloaded Mojave.

After reading all the information I could find on the problem it seems that the problem was partly mine and partly Apples.

Two things occurred after being pestered by apple to upload Mojave.

When I decided to do it, I wasn't concerned about back up as I mostly keep all my documents and photos on an external hard drive.

My issue with Apple was they didn't explain about having to set up a new photo library after you download the OS.

At the same time, I was getting a message that I only had 15 gb left in storage and that I needed to create some more space.

So I did begin to take some documents off on to my external hard drive.

Little did I know that when I emptied my bin my photos must have gone with them.

What I hadn't done was back up recent photos and videos to the external hd.

I wasn't using icloud as Apple just want me to pay for storage.

It was the perfect storm.

What angers me about Apple.

-I wasn't inform about the issues that upgrading Mojave with photos could occur

-Plus they have created only minimal storage on the MacPro.

So that is most of the story.

Thanks for asking but it has all gone so I am letting it go

and using the opportunity to take new photos and create new videos.

Cheers Rob

Apr 22, 2019 4:45 AM in response to playful-11

There was no need to create a new Library for Photos. If you were still using iPhoto, Photos would create a new Library, but not by copying anything so storage would not have changed.

The Library database that references all the photos would get updated, but not at some huge storage cost or any change to the photos within.

Why were you storing photos in the Trash bin?

Emptying the Trash doesn't seek out other files to delete. It just empties the Trash folder.

I don't use Photos in iCloud either. My Photos Library is on an external and nothing spectacular happened when I upgraded. I can't figure out why you think that the Mojave upgrade did something to cause you to lose your photos.

Apr 23, 2019 6:29 PM in response to Barney-15E

I can't figure it out where they went. Before Mojave photos there after upgrade photos not there.

I read somewhere that the photos are placed in the recently delete file for 30 days if you don't create a new photo library folder.

Any way every thing has gone and i don't have the tech knowledge to work out what I did.

Must be 'mars in retrograde' messy with my head

So you can let go of it all

thanks for your help

cheers

Lost all photos since 2015 when changed over to Mojave OS don't upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.