Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini 2018 Etrecheck report Performance result is only GOOD with Apple SSD

Hi all,

The Performance result of the Etrecheck test I just performed is as below:

Runtime:4:04 (minutes:seconds)

Nominal I/O speed:2.02 MB/s

File system:120.08 seconds (timed out)

Write speed:295 MB/s

Read speed:4499 MB/s

Performance:Good

In the about: section of the performance test the Things to Know it says:

Good: You have a mechanical hard drive and your machine is in good health. If you have an SSD, your performance should always be Excellent. If not, you have a problem, even if your performance is Good.

My 2018 Mac Mini has an Apple SSD of 512 GB and the result of the test should thus be Excellent. I included a link to the Etrecheck report and I'm hoping to get some advice from this forum about this issue.

Link to the Etrecheck report

https://jeuelissen.stackstorage.com/s/Pk822PcIjsCmUMz

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 20, 2019 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2019 8:44 AM

Antivirus apps inject themselves into the operating system at a very low level. They are more prone to cause performance problems than any other type of system modification. This is because they constantly monitor the file system in an attempt to detect malware the instant it is created in hopes of quarantining it.

Unfortunately, this is really difficult to do. Antivirus apps can destabilize the system and cause it to crash. They can also cause significant performance problems.

The read and write speed of a hard drive or SSD is usually an indicator of the physical health of the drive. But there is no way to test this in isolation from other processes running on the system. So some other app may have been attempting to use the SSD while EtreCheck was performing its write test. You would have to run more tests over time to arrive at a consensus of what the true, expected performance should be. Any single test run, including EtreCheck’s is not definitive. If it shows a major problem, then that should be investigated. But it could be an isolated incident.

The more important test is actually the File system performance test. In your case, that test failed and had to be terminated after 2 minutes. This is highly indicative of interference from 3rd party software. Even your “horrible” write speed of 295 MB/s is faster than any mechanical disk drive. But the File system test is more of a test of the operating system than the hardware. In this test, a healthy SSD and a healthy hard drive should complete in about 30 seconds.

The only way to test these issues is to uninstall the software most likely to be causing the problem. Keep doing that until the problem goes away. At that point, you will be able to measure your machine and determine exactly what your nominal performance should be like. Then, as you install (or reinstall) 3rd party software, you will be able to immediately determine if a particular piece of software is causing a performance problem. But you won’t know until you try.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2019 8:44 AM in response to Tjeuke

Antivirus apps inject themselves into the operating system at a very low level. They are more prone to cause performance problems than any other type of system modification. This is because they constantly monitor the file system in an attempt to detect malware the instant it is created in hopes of quarantining it.

Unfortunately, this is really difficult to do. Antivirus apps can destabilize the system and cause it to crash. They can also cause significant performance problems.

The read and write speed of a hard drive or SSD is usually an indicator of the physical health of the drive. But there is no way to test this in isolation from other processes running on the system. So some other app may have been attempting to use the SSD while EtreCheck was performing its write test. You would have to run more tests over time to arrive at a consensus of what the true, expected performance should be. Any single test run, including EtreCheck’s is not definitive. If it shows a major problem, then that should be investigated. But it could be an isolated incident.

The more important test is actually the File system performance test. In your case, that test failed and had to be terminated after 2 minutes. This is highly indicative of interference from 3rd party software. Even your “horrible” write speed of 295 MB/s is faster than any mechanical disk drive. But the File system test is more of a test of the operating system than the hardware. In this test, a healthy SSD and a healthy hard drive should complete in about 30 seconds.

The only way to test these issues is to uninstall the software most likely to be causing the problem. Keep doing that until the problem goes away. At that point, you will be able to measure your machine and determine exactly what your nominal performance should be like. Then, as you install (or reinstall) 3rd party software, you will be able to immediately determine if a particular piece of software is causing a performance problem. But you won’t know until you try.

Apr 20, 2019 12:13 PM in response to Tjeuke

You can post the text version of your EtreCheck report just like you posted those system specs.

The text version of your EtreCheck report is automatically anonymized. The raw EtreCheck report that you posted could have information such as your name, e-mail address, names of hard drives, etc. I checked it for any potentially personal information and I didn’t find anything in this case.

Apr 21, 2019 2:32 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Although a Mac is not as sensitive for viruses as a window PC I personally I think these days even a Mac can't do without a virusscanner. I agree with you that McAfee is using substantial amount of resources but that doesn't explain why Etrecheck performance index is "just" Good for my 6 core Mac mini with Apple SSD. A Read speed of 4499 MB/s and Write speed of only 295 MB/s are very unlikely values.

Apr 21, 2019 9:56 AM in response to etresoft

The problem is solved after I uninstalled McAfee Virusscan.

I guess I have to reconsider the use of a virusscanner on my Mac. Maybe only using a malware scanner which I is only only when manually starting so it cannot interrupt anything.

The main results are now:

Runtime:1:56 (minutes:seconds)

Nominal I/O speed:21.88 MB/s

File system:12.22 seconds

Write speed:1810 MB/s

Read speed:2359 MB/s

A big "thank you very much".

Jeu

Mac mini 2018 Etrecheck report Performance result is only GOOD with Apple SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.