Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i remove files from my mac but keep them in iCloud?

My computer is almost out of space. How do i remove files from my mac but keep them in iCloud? Most of the uploaded files are taking space in my computer as well.

The reason that I paying for more space in iCloud is because my macbook doesn't have enough space, and I'll like to upload most of the file to the cloud without taking space in my computer.

So, anyone who can help me?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 20, 2019 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2019 2:05 PM

Have you turned on the Optimize Mac Storage option? See the following from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

The files that you keep in iCloud Drive use your iCloud storage. And as long as you have enough space in iCloud and on your device, you can store as many files as you like. 

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, go to Apple menu  > System Preferences > iCloud. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options and turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again. If you want to free up more space on your Mac, follow these steps. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can search and browse files from all of your devices and download them only as you need them.

You can also free up space on your device and in iCloud Drive when you delete files. Then go to your Recently Deleted folder in the Files app or on iCloud.com and delete the files there. Before you delete anything, make sure that you back up the files that you still want. When you use iCloud Drive and delete a file on one device, it deletes on your other devices too. iCloud removes the files from every device that you're signed in to with the same Apple ID.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2019 2:05 PM in response to shadow2303

Have you turned on the Optimize Mac Storage option? See the following from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

The files that you keep in iCloud Drive use your iCloud storage. And as long as you have enough space in iCloud and on your device, you can store as many files as you like. 

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, go to Apple menu  > System Preferences > iCloud. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options and turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again. If you want to free up more space on your Mac, follow these steps. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can search and browse files from all of your devices and download them only as you need them.

You can also free up space on your device and in iCloud Drive when you delete files. Then go to your Recently Deleted folder in the Files app or on iCloud.com and delete the files there. Before you delete anything, make sure that you back up the files that you still want. When you use iCloud Drive and delete a file on one device, it deletes on your other devices too. iCloud removes the files from every device that you're signed in to with the same Apple ID.

How do i remove files from my mac but keep them in iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.