You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reveal How Much Storage Space is Taken Up by Trash

How do I reveal the total amount of storage space that is taken up by Trash?

I've logged in, and I see a huge total of 598 images in my Trash. All of which were recently deleted using my iPhone (iCloud synchronization did all of this).

Moving all of these into a new folder to get the info would do the job, but it would take a while to transfer all 598 of these, without a doubt.

Please let me know.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 22, 2019 3:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2019 6:29 PM

So, I showed Apple.

Turned out to be none other than RECENTLY DELETED ITEMS all of which were revealed in iCloud Storage! (1.85GB in total storage capacity, which makes sense, being that an image is typically between 3 to 4 MB in size, inclusively).

The 29MB, of which mentioned above, were items in my currently-used Mac's Trash. The rest were in iCloud from whenever. Why 500? Got Me! Got Apple! Perhaps I duplicated them all. Who knows? However they got there, all items have been removed, and no longer show.

[Edited by Moderator]

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 22, 2019 6:29 PM in response to sberman

So, I showed Apple.

Turned out to be none other than RECENTLY DELETED ITEMS all of which were revealed in iCloud Storage! (1.85GB in total storage capacity, which makes sense, being that an image is typically between 3 to 4 MB in size, inclusively).

The 29MB, of which mentioned above, were items in my currently-used Mac's Trash. The rest were in iCloud from whenever. Why 500? Got Me! Got Apple! Perhaps I duplicated them all. Who knows? However they got there, all items have been removed, and no longer show.

[Edited by Moderator]

Apr 22, 2019 3:33 PM in response to TheLittles

You could copy and paste the following into Script Editor (Dock : Launchpad : Other : Script Editor), click the Compile button, and then run it. It will show the total storage consumed by all of the files in the Trash folder.

tell application "System Events"
	set trash_size to (do shell script "du -sh " & (POSIX path of trash))
end tell
display dialog trash_size as text
return

Reveal How Much Storage Space is Taken Up by Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.