Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mission control thumbnails missing

Mojave 10.14.4

After a reboot, when I open Mission Control using ^ (up arrow), there are no thumbnails displayed. Same behaviour when I use the F3 key. My active windows disappear and all I see is a blank desktop. Before the reboot I would see a small thumbnail of all my active windows in the current desktop.

The only way that I get some form of thumbnails is when I activate "Group windows by application" in Mission Control settings, but this is not ideal.

Is there any solution to get thumbnails back when I open Mission Control?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 23, 2019 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2019 2:42 PM

Hey YeeHaw1234,

I see that you're having some trouble with Mission Control not displaying the active windows like it used to. I'll be happy to help out.

Have you tried opening Mission Control in safe mode? This can help tell us if the issue is possible login items. Be aware that internet access is limited in safe mode, but sometimes just starting in this mode and then restarting normally can resolve issues like this: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If safe mode doesn't help, try creating a test user account and see if the problem continues. Creating a test user account can help determine if the issue is caused by third-party software: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac 

Keep us updated on your findings. Take care!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2019 2:42 PM in response to YeeHaw1234

Hey YeeHaw1234,

I see that you're having some trouble with Mission Control not displaying the active windows like it used to. I'll be happy to help out.

Have you tried opening Mission Control in safe mode? This can help tell us if the issue is possible login items. Be aware that internet access is limited in safe mode, but sometimes just starting in this mode and then restarting normally can resolve issues like this: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If safe mode doesn't help, try creating a test user account and see if the problem continues. Creating a test user account can help determine if the issue is caused by third-party software: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac 

Keep us updated on your findings. Take care!

Apr 25, 2019 7:34 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Booted in safe mode and Mission Control behaviour was as expected: CTRL + up-arrow showed application thumbnails.

Rebooted in regular mode and Mission Control is back to normal as well. CTRL + up-arrow shows application thumbnails once again (with the "group windows by application" option un-checked in Mission Control settings) instead of showing a blank desktop.

Mission control thumbnails missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.