Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Mid-2011 Devoloped Flickering Early 2019

Heya,

This'll be the first time I've had to turn to support, and up til now, I've been rather pleased with my iMac, but for the last month or two, when I wake the computer up, the entire screen begins flickering and changing brightness, for absolutely no reason. It seems it started right after clearing PRAM, and each time, it lasts between 10 seconds and 2 minutes. I feel like it is more consistently happeneing, and for longer, too. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

TheLittleDoctor

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 25, 2019 6:02 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 28, 2019 8:45 AM in response to Rudegar

Yeah, thanks for letting me know! Actually, when I powered up on Saturday, I began to get some Stage lighting, so that's what I'm thinking now too. Rats.

I guess next step would be either take it to the genius bar, or should I risk repairing it myself?

Or even, is it time for a new mac? It is getting on in years.

Thanks for the help,

TheLittleDoc

Apr 28, 2019 9:57 AM in response to The Little Doctor

I have the same mac, upgraded it from 4gb to 16gb which speed it up a bit and suppose I could upgrade it to SSD disk and make it a bit faster but the gpu only has 512MB and it does not support Mojave so I doubt I will bother, but suppose you could get somebody to take a look and give you a price of what it will cost, but it could both be the gpu and the lcd or cables to the lcd. if it happened to me I would get a mac mini latests model

iMac Mid-2011 Devoloped Flickering Early 2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.