You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Books gone after disabling iCloud sync?

So what exactly has happened here? I think I possibly enabled and disabled iCloud sync for books with iCloud Drive and now it seems a lot of books are missing from my Apple Books Library.

Even restoring the com.apple.BKAgentService folder from Time Machine hasn't restored things the way I could have expected either.

Posted on Apr 26, 2019 12:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2019 1:26 PM

In the Books application on your Mac, use the menu to:

• Go to Store > View My Apple ID to be certain you're signed in correctly.
  • Go to Store > Check for Available Downloads to update your Mac's library.

6 replies

Apr 26, 2019 2:20 PM in response to sberman

Indeed. The idea that Apple would ever think you'd want to remove something from the only source it exists that they couldn't be replaced from their own store is mind boggling *stupid*

At the time I was only trying to get Collections to sync across devices properly but Apple has decided to add the scope everything it found in my iBooks library and when I opted out of using iCloud syncing it removed them from all devices (I didn't think it considered the mac a "device")

and now I have to try to restore them from Time Machine Backup.

Apple seems to be incentivized to use up as much iCloud storage I have as possible by opting in as much content as possible even if/when it never had anything to do with them.

Apr 26, 2019 2:29 PM in response to sberman

It seems to be a way for you to want to pay for extra iCloud storage ... since my preference is to be able to sync my books from my master device my Mac with Apple never deleting anything that they cannot replace it.

when you opt into it this iCloud books sync you're never really expecting iCloud drive to be the only copy of the data.

Apr 26, 2019 1:57 PM in response to Robert Nicholson1

Apple has not decided anything. You have done the deciding.

Let's review. In my first response, I incorrectly thought you were talking about missing books being books you purchased from the Apple Book Store.

I now realize that is not correct. Indeed what you are talking about are books you purchased elsewhere, that you made available to your various Apple devices using iCloud Drive.

You subsequently decided to stop using iCloud Drive. You are now expressing surprise that after deciding this, you no longer see the books on your Mac that were housed in iCloud Drive.

Apple Books gone after disabling iCloud sync?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.