Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Searching for T1 or T2 chip

Hi guys,

I bought my Macbook Pro 13'inch 2017 model with 10.4.4 Mojave software. I was trying to reset my SMC and I went into "Controller" in System Information to check whether my Macbook contains T2 chip or not. However, I realise there is no information as the picture shows below. My girl friend has 15'inch 2017 Macbook Pro with touch bar and contains T1 chip.

So I was wondering is it possible to not have any T1 or T2 chip on Macbook Pro.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 28, 2019 3:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2019 5:08 AM

Hi,

If your 13-inch MacBook Pro doesn't have a Touch Bar with Touch ID, then it won't have a T1 or T2 security controller chip.

I believe that the T1 chip was introduced on the 2017 15-inch MBP, but the Touch Bar was not an option with the 13-inch model.

As I understand it the T2 chip was introduced with the 2018 MacBook Pros. Touch Bar and Touch ID are options on the 13-inch model, standard on the 15-inch.

Cheers,

H

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2019 5:08 AM in response to Richardprk

Hi,

If your 13-inch MacBook Pro doesn't have a Touch Bar with Touch ID, then it won't have a T1 or T2 security controller chip.

I believe that the T1 chip was introduced on the 2017 15-inch MBP, but the Touch Bar was not an option with the 13-inch model.

As I understand it the T2 chip was introduced with the 2018 MacBook Pros. Touch Bar and Touch ID are options on the 13-inch model, standard on the 15-inch.

Cheers,

H

Searching for T1 or T2 chip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.