Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro +10.6.3+Dual-displays= LONG boot time

Well, I've basically just put up with this for the past couple months hoping a fix would come along. 10.6.4 was released, but it didn't fix the problem.

I have a first gen Mac Pro with an ATI 4870 graphics card. I'm running a 24" Apple Cinema Display and a 23" ACD off of the card. Never had any issues in over a year until I updated to 10.6.3. I also have an SSD as my boot drive, and in the past the machine would boot in about 20 seconds. Since the update, it can take over 10 minutes to boot. It seems to just hang on the blue screen, but eventually does boot. Everything else works fine, but waiting for the machine to boot after an update or having to restart because an app. won't load, etc. is maddening. Any ideas? Thanks.

Mac Pro 1,1, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 12, 2010 8:36 PM

4 replies

Jul 12, 2010 8:53 PM in response to macboy2000

A couple.

First there's the usual SMC and PRAM zapping to try. Next up would be safe mode. How quickly does that load? If Safe Mode loads more or less like how you'd expect, then you have some program or font or something that is gumming things up.

It could also be that either your SSD or any traditional drives you may have are failing, and are slowing things down. Never hurts to run AHT to see if there are any obvious errors.

Jul 15, 2010 6:32 PM in response to macboy2000

Well, I've basically just put up with this for the past couple months hoping a fix would come along.

You need to contact Apple about the issue if you expect them to fix it. If you have Apple Care then that would be the best way to go. If not you can provide feedback at: http://www.apple.com/feedback/.

Starting a thread about the problem and encouraging others who have the same issue to provide feedback to Apple provides Apple with more data/information/pressure to provide a fix.

Mac Pro +10.6.3+Dual-displays= LONG boot time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.