You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove icon?

I had a computer "meltdown" a couple of weeks ago; I did get it fixed. I had a few custom icons on folders, and they disappeared. Using Spotlight, I searched and found several files called "icon?"; the files look like they are almost empty. Is there anyway I can delete them? I did use a command to show hidden files, but they didn't show up, so I have no idea where they are.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 30, 2019 1:49 PM

3 replies

Apr 30, 2019 2:33 PM in response to Nancy Blazis

Create a new folder and drag and drop the content to the new folder,

customize the icon as you see fit.

Delete the old folder.

If all of this if for not— Try a SafeBoot  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-10 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc.  Then reboot as normal.

Apr 30, 2019 2:00 PM in response to Nancy Blazis

I had a few custom icons on folders, and they disappeared.

That is a spotlight search— open them in Finder and delete them there.

search by the file/folder name

It may be possible if everything is intact—command i will open the information pane for the selected folder. Highlight the icon in the upper left, and command Z may return the default icon.

Or you can re-add your own.

Remove icon?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.