Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dust in Mac

So in August of 2018, I bought my first Mac. Over the past, eh, I'd say two months, I have started to notice that my Mac heats up pretty quick. When the fan is really crankin' I can hear a buzzing sound coming strictly from the house left side of the Mac. Even when the fan isn't even on high, I can still hear little buzzing sound coming from it. This scared me a lot because its still new. Well, so I've been doing some research and I'm pretty sure that there's dust in my Mac (mainly in the fan, which could explain it being louder when the fans are on) This also would make a lot of sense because, really the only place I use my Mac is on my bed. When im not using it, I store it in a place that has a lot of dust. Now, I've looked up many things and found a ton of videos about dust in the fans and how to clean them, but I really don't want to have to open my Mac because I just know that I would break something (also, for some reason I never bought a protection plan) So my next alternative is to go to an apple store and take it to get it cleaned (or, if there was actually something wrong with the fan, get it diagnosed.) which is actually really convenient cause I live a 5 minute drive from the one that's inside my mall. So, that brings me to my main question. Does anybody know if it took it to the apple store to get cleaned, would It cost anything?

Thanks,

Kate S

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 4, 2019 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2019 9:33 AM

Try an SMC reset to reset the fan control and thermal management.

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies

May 4, 2019 8:37 AM in response to Katesirota

Maybe the fans are running loud because you are using the computer in bed and restricting the airflow. Maybe you are running something in the background that is using a lot of cpu power which is causing the computer to run hot. There are many reasons why your computer fans may be running loud but my first guess would not be dust in the computer, unless of course you are using it in an extremely dusty environment like a cement plant.

Dust in Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.