Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP does not create new Snapshot, but overwrites the last one

1. Exported XML from DaVinci Resolve
  2. This created an accidental gap clip with an empty storyline
  3. I converted this gap clip into the storyline by OPT CMD down arrow

Now, whenever I choose "create snapshot" FCP does NOT create a new snapshot. I can see how it overwrites the last snapshot.

I am doing a project with a very experimental soundtrack, and without the snapshot feature I can't do it.

If you know what could have caused the snapshot feature to malfunction and how I could make it work, please let me know.

thanks for you help!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 4, 2019 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2019 2:38 PM

Solved: I could get the snapshot feature to work again!

How?

I opened a different library with a different film I'm working on.

I could create a snapshot as usual.

Then I went back to this project where the snapshot didn't work.

And it worked again and I can make snapshots, and it no longer overwrites the last snapshot.

Explanation:

The library where the problem occurred consisted of two events

• Edit before exporting to DVR

• the re-imported color grade after color correction in DVR (which had to be downconverted into the main storyline)

When I returned to the problem library/project (after opening the other project in a different library), it was no longer where I had left it open - at the event containing the DVR grade.

It had "snapped back" to the first event, the pre-DVR color grade.

I re-opened the event with the post-DVR color grade and the snapshot feature worked again.

It's as if something had been stuck through downconverting the storyline... that's my only guess. And by opening up another library, and by opening up another event (even though without my doing) that has become "unstuck"

Any way, big relief that I can continue working over the weekend.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2019 2:38 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Solved: I could get the snapshot feature to work again!

How?

I opened a different library with a different film I'm working on.

I could create a snapshot as usual.

Then I went back to this project where the snapshot didn't work.

And it worked again and I can make snapshots, and it no longer overwrites the last snapshot.

Explanation:

The library where the problem occurred consisted of two events

• Edit before exporting to DVR

• the re-imported color grade after color correction in DVR (which had to be downconverted into the main storyline)

When I returned to the problem library/project (after opening the other project in a different library), it was no longer where I had left it open - at the event containing the DVR grade.

It had "snapped back" to the first event, the pre-DVR color grade.

I re-opened the event with the post-DVR color grade and the snapshot feature worked again.

It's as if something had been stuck through downconverting the storyline... that's my only guess. And by opening up another library, and by opening up another event (even though without my doing) that has become "unstuck"

Any way, big relief that I can continue working over the weekend.

May 4, 2019 2:01 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I have the timeline selected.

I go to edit - Duplicate Project as a snapshot.

Usually, the last state duplicates. I get the same state twice, and the selected one will change as I edit along, and the other stays the same.

Now there is no copying of states. Only the latest state gets the golden frame animates so I see how it overwrites it.

But the "duplicate" part is missing.

May 4, 2019 2:08 PM in response to Ocean 17

"Now there is no copying of states. Only the latest state gets the golden frame animates so I see how it overwrites it."

I don't understand this at all.

I can't reproduce the problem of overwriting the snapshot. I have a project open called GH5. It's got six shots. I select Edit>Duplicate as snapshot. I delete five of the six shots in GH5. I double-click the snapshot in the event. It opens in the timeline, and all six shots are still there. That's the behavior I'm seeing.

FCP does not create new Snapshot, but overwrites the last one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.