Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won’t my iphone update

Won’t update the latest iOS version no matter how many times I try

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on May 4, 2019 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2019 12:16 PM

Hi Chris and Sberman, thank you both for the info and suggestions. I did try the iTunes via plugging phone into PC and syncing many times. My PC iTunes is up to date as is iPhone. Didn’t happen no matter which way I tried. Then I got rid of some storage issues by offsetting some apps. And then finally turned phone off and restarted. And voila!! Good gravy. Simple things. Lol

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2019 12:16 PM in response to sberman

Hi Chris and Sberman, thank you both for the info and suggestions. I did try the iTunes via plugging phone into PC and syncing many times. My PC iTunes is up to date as is iPhone. Didn’t happen no matter which way I tried. Then I got rid of some storage issues by offsetting some apps. And then finally turned phone off and restarted. And voila!! Good gravy. Simple things. Lol

May 4, 2019 3:02 PM in response to Arnoldd1955

Difficult to say why, since you do not provide any information about what it does when you try. Either way, see this for instructions on updating, and there is also a link at the bottom for troubleshooting over the air updates. Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you are still unable to update, try this one, If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. And if necessary, you can come back with additional information for help.

May 5, 2019 7:04 AM in response to Arnoldd1955

Buying more space from Apple is iCloud storage, which has nothing to do with the storage space on your device. The first document contained a link for dealing with issues with space and over the air updates. However, at this point, your best bet is to update the device with the computer and iTunes, as is also provided in the document provided. You need twice as much space to update the device over the air since it has to unpack on the iPhone, which takes up space. Doing it on the computer allows it to unpack on the computer, thus not taking the larger amount of space. Use the computer and iTunes, following the instructions in the support document I provided.

May 5, 2019 9:14 AM in response to Arnoldd1955

To add to ChrisJ4203’s excellent remarks, not only have you not told us whether you have already tried to use iTunes to perform the update, but you have also not told us your iTunes version number in case you have tried. You need a current version of iTunes which requires a reasonably current operating system version to communicate to iOS 12 devices.

Why won’t my iphone update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.