Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove Bing redirect from Safari

None of the instructions on the web work, not even installing the suggested virus checkers. There is nothing listed in Manage Website Data so there's nothing to select and Remove nor does Remove All do anything. There are no Extensions in my version of Safari so I can't remove any Extensions. When I select Bing, the Remove button is greyed out so I can't remove Bing from the list of search engines. Cleaning caches and history doesn't work and where's this Rest Safari command that everyone's talking about anyway? I'd gladly uninstall all of Safari, but the OS will not allow m to do that. So how do stop Safari from redirecting all searches to Bing?

Posted on May 5, 2019 8:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2019 9:12 PM

Malwarebytes - There are different versions available depending upon what features you want. For a single removal without ongoing monitoring you can probably use the free version.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/pricing/

9 replies

May 9, 2019 2:44 PM in response to RoadieVic

I did as directed and created a new Administrator account. I logged in as the new administrator, but Parental Controls were NOT enabled. Neither were Parental Controls enabled when I logged in as the previous, original administrator. The one thing that did happen was that when I logged in as the new administrator and used Safari, the Bing redirect did NOT happen.

I would keep the new Administrator account and delete the old one except that would mean losing all of my saved emails

One of the manual removal instructions, which I had already read, somewhere send us to windows where the commands and selections that the instructions specify simply do not exist. I think the manual removal instructions were written a previous version of OS X, not High Sierra which is what I have.

The manual instructions also say somewhere that as a last resort, "reset Safari." This is supposed to get rid of all Extension, Plug-ins, delete all history, delete all cached data, delete all cookies, etc. etc. and reset Safari to "default settings." The instructions tell you to open Safari, select the Safari drop-down window from the upper left corner and then select "Reset Safari." This would be really nice except that there is no "Reset Safari" selection anywhere in Safari or anywhere else on the computer - I've spent over a week looking. It also makes me kind of distrust the manual removal instructions

Jun 1, 2019 3:51 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric, I have a paid subscription to Malwarebytes. It ran a scan a few days ago and detected a threat. Malwarebytes indicated it took care of the threat. I have since run Malwarebytes scans and supposedly I am "clean."

I know exactly when this happened - I received a message that flashplayer needed to be updated. That is when Malwarebytes kicked in and warned of a threat. But since then I cannot get rid of Bing. I do not want Bing; I do not like it at all! Besides that, I cannot find the link to my google email account. So, other than trying Malwarebytes, what else can I do to get rid of the cursed Bing takeover?

Jun 1, 2019 8:21 PM in response to Eric Root

Yes! Thank you! One step instructed to reset Safari to original defaults; I could not find that option on Mojave, but I was somehow able to find the ability to go back to an older version of Safari, that and emptying the cache and browser history several times. Something worked because I am back to normal with Google on Safari and my email link returned. Thank you for your help!

Remove Bing redirect from Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.