Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hotspot Sharing with Time Capsule

I feel like I am setting this up in the obvious way, but when I do so my Time Capsule vanishes from the network, so something is wrong. I recently cut the cord, so no more broadband on an Ethernet cable. I reset my Time Capsule and switched from “Create a Network” to “Extend a Network.” I put in my iPhone’s HotSpot username and password and updated the Time Capsule. Instead of my HotSpot being broadcast all over the apartment and my MacBook backing up to the Time Capsule, the Time Capsule just vanishes (not physically, but from the setup utility). What am I doing wrong?

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on May 6, 2019 3:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2019 4:13 PM

The Time Capsule cannot "extend a wireless network" unless the WiFi network has been created by another Apple AirPort router. An iPhone is not an AirPort router.

IF.....you have a spare AirPort Express, you might be able to set it up to "join" the hotspot network. When the AirPort Express "joins" a network, the Ethernet ports on the Express are enabled, so you might be able to connect an Ethernet cable from the AirPort Express to the Time Capsule to get the Time Capsule on the network that way.

This has worked for me when I have tried it in the past, but I cannot say if it will work for you.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2019 4:13 PM in response to Salinay

The Time Capsule cannot "extend a wireless network" unless the WiFi network has been created by another Apple AirPort router. An iPhone is not an AirPort router.

IF.....you have a spare AirPort Express, you might be able to set it up to "join" the hotspot network. When the AirPort Express "joins" a network, the Ethernet ports on the Express are enabled, so you might be able to connect an Ethernet cable from the AirPort Express to the Time Capsule to get the Time Capsule on the network that way.

This has worked for me when I have tried it in the past, but I cannot say if it will work for you.

Hotspot Sharing with Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.