Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Screen Popped Off

My Apple Watch (Gen 1) screen popped off a week ago. Wife’s Apple Watch (Gen 1) screen popped off today. We purchased at same time in August 2016.

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch

Posted on May 6, 2019 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2019 5:46 AM

Ahleesue,

That must be really frustrating, having two watches self destruct almost at the same time!

There's quite a lot of similar stories out there, on this discussion board and other online sites.

Contrary to ConnorfromGrinnells comment, I would suggest that you definitely do want to contact Apple and let them know about the damage to your two watches.

There's a number of ways this could play out:

There's loads of information on the internet about Apple having increased the warranty period of series 1 watches, if they have been damaged due to the battery expanding, which might well be the case with yours. You may be offered a refurbished watch in return, covered by a new limited warranty.

If it turns out that there is not an extended warranty in your case(s), then depending on what country you purchased the watches you may still be covered for a repair / replacement.

In the UK, consumers are protected by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (have a search), which will protect you from manufacturing faults for 6 years in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and 5 years in Scotland. In the case of an expanding battery designed to expand rather than overheat, this would be a fault that existed within the watch when you bought it, so if the damage is due to this then you should be covered. You'll need to make that claim through the retailer you purchased the watches from, and you'll need some kind of receipt or bank statement proving purchase.

If you purchased using a credit card, this may also provide an additional means of claiming for faulty goods.

Hope you manage to resolve. Post back and update how you get on!

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2019 5:46 AM in response to Ahleesue

Ahleesue,

That must be really frustrating, having two watches self destruct almost at the same time!

There's quite a lot of similar stories out there, on this discussion board and other online sites.

Contrary to ConnorfromGrinnells comment, I would suggest that you definitely do want to contact Apple and let them know about the damage to your two watches.

There's a number of ways this could play out:

There's loads of information on the internet about Apple having increased the warranty period of series 1 watches, if they have been damaged due to the battery expanding, which might well be the case with yours. You may be offered a refurbished watch in return, covered by a new limited warranty.

If it turns out that there is not an extended warranty in your case(s), then depending on what country you purchased the watches you may still be covered for a repair / replacement.

In the UK, consumers are protected by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (have a search), which will protect you from manufacturing faults for 6 years in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and 5 years in Scotland. In the case of an expanding battery designed to expand rather than overheat, this would be a fault that existed within the watch when you bought it, so if the damage is due to this then you should be covered. You'll need to make that claim through the retailer you purchased the watches from, and you'll need some kind of receipt or bank statement proving purchase.

If you purchased using a credit card, this may also provide an additional means of claiming for faulty goods.

Hope you manage to resolve. Post back and update how you get on!

May 8, 2019 6:07 AM in response to BertieBus

If failed lithium batteries are covered under warranty for 6 years in the UK then electronic devices must be very expensive there to cover that. I'm not sure what "big up" means but Apple offered an extended warranty for a small sample of Series 1 watches for a battery issue. Apple will offer an out-of-warranty replacement of the two watches for a fee but that is a 5 year old watch. I do think they should talk to Apple but at this point a new Watch may be a better option.

May 8, 2019 6:14 AM in response to deggie

I'm sure Ahleesue said in their post that the watches were purchased on August 2016.

That's less than 3 years ago. The information that's available on the internet regarding Apple Series 1 watches is:

"Apple has extended its service coverage for Apple Watch (1st gen) models experiencing expanded/swollen battery problems to three years, covering customers for service for an additional two years beyond the complimentary 1-year Limited Warranty that it provides with the device."

That's 2 years additional to the 1 year limited warranty.

It's important that people understand what they may be entitled to, if at a loss due to faulty goods.

May 8, 2019 6:21 AM in response to BertieBus

Not sure what that means. I agree if you want to help people great! But just saying Apple should big up and change there policy doesn’t really help? As this a technical forum not a consumer advise forum. But please don’t stop offering good advice. I should you have knowledge I don’t and will be used to help others going forward.

May 8, 2019 6:53 AM in response to seanfromllanelli

Thanks Seanfromllanelli,

Glad you appreciate it's helpful to have an alternative vadvice on the forum to "just buy a new one". Especially when Apple have recognised a manufacturing defect and put policy in place to address.

We do live in a finite world, and I'm sure Apple would be the first to agreed that we really can't afford for etech manufacturers to be designing electronic devices with a 2.5 year lifespan.

All the technical or otherwise advice that folk on here can offer to stop this happening must be a good thing.

Best of luck Ahleesue with resolving your problem.

May 8, 2019 8:08 AM in response to BertieBus

The Series 1 and Generation 1 watches are not the same. The Generation 1 Watch was the very first Watch sold, the Series 1 came the second year. If they bought them new from Apple or an Authorized Apple Reseller then the 3 year extension program would cover their devices IF they are one of the ones so affected. They can contact Apple and find this out.

Given that the original Watch did not have built in GPS if they have the funds I certainly would recommend buying a new one that also has ECG if they can afford it.

Apple Watch Screen Popped Off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.