Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro - Get photos on it

Wedding photographer placed photos of son's wedding on Google Drive. How am I to get those photos onto my iPad Pro? I've downloaded them to my computer, but find no way to get them onto the iPad.

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on May 7, 2019 9:54 AM

15 replies

May 8, 2019 1:52 PM in response to ChrisAndEmmie

Whoever you spoke with at Apple either misunderstood your question or you misunderstood what they told you. You can most absolutely, positively, definitely sync photos from a Windows computer to your iPad USING iTunes. I just synced some photos to mine yesterday.

This link from Apple explains how to do so (read the section on how to sync from iTunes): Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all of your devices - Apple Support

May 7, 2019 3:33 PM in response to ChrisAndEmmie

You can get these photos into your iPad using the Google Drive app for iOS.

This is what I use everyday to get stuff into my iPad from my Mac without using iTunes every single time.

AND the photos will not be linked, so you you can setup your own Google account to use the Google Drive or Google Photos apps for iOS to save these photos/images to.

Google offer free cloud, data storage up to 15 GBs free and you can monthly pay $1.99/month for an additional 100 GBs giving you a Google cloud account of 115 GBs of cloud data for ONLY $1.99/month.

Pretty good deal, I think.

May 8, 2019 1:47 PM in response to ChrisAndEmmie

Well... according to Apple Support this morning, you are not able to use iTunes to move photos from a windows computer to an iPad... There is ONLY way - synch using iCloud.

The photos will now be permanently linked between your iPad and iCloud. Want a photo from your camera on iPad after you have it on your computer? Open iCloud and move it there. Then the photo will be there and on your iPad.

Delete the photo from iCloud? It's deleted from your iPad.

This really, really sucks. And we're talking huge ones.

First, photos moved to iCloud are automatically compressed.

Second, you can override the automatic compression. Note-you're limited to 5GB on iCloud before you start paying for additional space. Why would I want to pay for space I really didn't want in the first place?

Third, the synch process merely dumps photos onto the iPad. No organization. You have to go in and indicate the photos (you can't move them) are supposed to be associated with certain albums.

Fourth, photos you had in a folder in a particular order... y'know for a slideshow or the like. fuggitaboutit. They are all out of order. You have to go into the album and manually move the photos around again.

Fifth, how do you get any metadata about the photos on the iPad? like file size and the like? Went to folder and it showed nothing at all.

If someone has a work around, so I don't have to use iCloud, I'd sure like to know about it.

Thanks.

May 8, 2019 3:54 PM in response to ChrisAndEmmie

As Skydiver had pointed out, using iTunes to sync photos/images is fine, but is a pain because you can't easily remove photos/images from the iPad, if you need to on the fly.

The iTunes method negates that option/possibility.

You would have to always add/remove images by sync-ing with iTunes ALL THE TIME!

Trust me, this CAN and DOES become a pain, over time, to always have re-arranrange, add/delete images through iTunes on a Mac or PC, or through the Mac's Photos app, every single time you want to change out photos/images or you need to free up space on your iPad.

If you are somewhere else, away from your Mac or PC and iTunes, and you find you need to make some room for some additional data on your iPad and need to remove some photos/images, it can't be done!

You’re stuck until you can get to your computer with iTunes on it for re-arranging your photos/images though iTunes on a computer!

Using other methods keeps your iPad from being constantly needing to be tethered to computer and iTunes ALL THE TIME!

Do what you will.

Good Luck!

May 8, 2019 4:03 PM in response to ChrisAndEmmie

I don’t use google drive but surely you can save a local copy, which means to save a copy on your iPad

Another way, use a memory card and the photo reader. it is meant to read from a camera card, but you can easily replicate that by keeping the 8 letter/number name (DSC_1234.jpg for example) and putting it in a folder named DCIM. Then use the card reader, plug that SD card into it and import the photos into the ipad. Quick, easy, keeps a local copy, is not internet dependent and the only ‘catch’ is that you’d use a computer to set it up - but you’d have to do that if you used itunes....and if these are photos from your camera, as long as it uses SD or Micro SD you can skip the computer step and simply import them straight off the card.

That may not be practical for this instance since it’d cost money for a one time import, but could work if you often import photos.

you can also use Dropbox (which someone may have also mentioned), email them to yourself and save them from the email, use microsoft one drive to upload/download and save a local copy

May 8, 2019 4:12 PM in response to ChrisAndEmmie

That Apple support person seemingly is working from a “playbook” and failed to mention that it is entirely do able to store and sync images iTunes on a PC.

As far as all the other shortcoming you mentioned, these all exist in the iOS Photos app, too!

For any photo/image metadata/EXIF data, you would need to seek out a third party EXIF data reader/editor.

There are a few of these in the iOS App Store.

The one I recommend is called Exif Viewer.

For photo/image organisation, you would need to use a third party photo/image organisation app for this purpose. There are ONLY two are three apps that can do this in the entire iOS App Store.

The ONLY one I can fully recommend is a photo organisation app called Photo Manager Pro 5.

This is a manual photo/image organisation app that allows lots of folders and sub-folder organisation, but you would need to all of this photo/image organisation manually, again, on your iPad.

You can use full resolutioon images in PM Pro 5 or manually set the level of image compression, yourself, in the app’s own settings.

Do-able and time consuming, yes, but once done, it is done.

iPad Pro - Get photos on it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.