Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding Referenced files to Photos

I prefer to use my own photo filing system using dated folders rather than have the one huge library that Photos uses. How can I create a new referenced file on Photos?

I have unchecked the "copy items to photos library" on Photos preferences. I imported a folder of photos from my hard drive to Photos. If I now select one of the pictures imported, and select file from the menu bar, the "Show referenced file in folder" is still greyed out. I also expected that the "referenced" file would continue to appear in the list at the left of the screen so I could access the folder.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Rick

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 8, 2019 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2019 12:46 PM

I have unchecked the "copy items to photos library" on Photos preferences. I imported a folder of photos from my hard drive to Photos. If I now select one of the pictures imported, and select file from the menu bar, the "Show referenced file in folder" is still greyed out.
Rick

Then something went wrong, Rick. Any photo you import after you disable "copy items to photos library" should have been imported as referenced.

As a test, create a new smart album:

• File > new Smart Album. Set the rule to "photo is referenced".

Is this smart album empty? If yes, check again, if the preference "copy items to photos library" is still unchecked. Import a new photo. Has this new photo been imported as referenced?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2019 12:46 PM in response to Roger0582

I have unchecked the "copy items to photos library" on Photos preferences. I imported a folder of photos from my hard drive to Photos. If I now select one of the pictures imported, and select file from the menu bar, the "Show referenced file in folder" is still greyed out.
Rick

Then something went wrong, Rick. Any photo you import after you disable "copy items to photos library" should have been imported as referenced.

As a test, create a new smart album:

• File > new Smart Album. Set the rule to "photo is referenced".

Is this smart album empty? If yes, check again, if the preference "copy items to photos library" is still unchecked. Import a new photo. Has this new photo been imported as referenced?

May 11, 2019 1:58 PM in response to léonie

That was the problem. I can't find any place in the documentation where it says

"to create a new smart album:

• File > new Smart Album. Set the rule to "photo is referenced". "

When I did this, the referenced files appeared in the items imported. Answers my question, but doesn't solve how I'd hoped to do things. It was much better in iPhoto when it created an event for each date imported.

Thanks for your help, Leonie

Adding Referenced files to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.