Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos will not open

When trying to open photos on my iMac I get the Photos quit unexpectedly message

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 8, 2019 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2019 3:55 PM

Thanks for your reply.

The problem I had was on a new Imac 27".

After trying a few solutions which did not work I called Apple support who were extremely helpful. They also had me trying the solutions posted here but nothing worked. The only option was to reinstall the operating system which resolved the problem.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2019 3:55 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for your reply.

The problem I had was on a new Imac 27".

After trying a few solutions which did not work I called Apple support who were extremely helpful. They also had me trying the solutions posted here but nothing worked. The only option was to reinstall the operating system which resolved the problem.

May 9, 2019 9:51 AM in response to des166

The following has helped some users in similar circumstances:

1 - force quit Photos.

2 - launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.

3 - import a couple of photos into the test library and close and open it a couple of times.

4 - launch Photos with the Option key held down band select your primary library.

May 9, 2019 4:25 AM in response to des166

What happened directly before this problem first occurred? Did you just upgrade to Mojave?

Could you post the first 50 lines or so of the crash log you are getting (in the Photos quit unexpectedly ... panel)?

Does Photos start correctly, if you select the Photos icon in the Applications folder and hold down the options key ⌥ while double-clicking the Photos icon in Applications? Keep holding down the options key, until the library chooser dialog appears. Select to create a new library.

Photos will not open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.