Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2018 MBP Crashing with Supplemental Update

2nd time this has happened. I experience the audio issues with the 2018 high Sierra so I install this “supplemental update” which is supposed to fix the issue and get a major crash when restarting after the installation. Page full of error/crash code and a choice to shut down or restart. Forced to restart in recovery mode and then do a fresh install of the OS. Very frustrating and can’t seem to fix it.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 9, 2019 11:20 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

May 10, 2019 10:06 AM in response to BDAqua

I just did the update again in safe mode but it was called "security update" as opposed to "supplemental update" so I'm not sure if this was the installation I was looking for to solve my audio issue. If I leave Logic open, with nothing connected (ie instruments, MIDI, audio interfaces etc) and just let it sit idle for an hour, when I come back to use it, I get a loud crackling sound sometimes and the interface is barely responsive requiring a relaunch of the app.

I find this audio issue also happens if, for example, I'm streaming some music for longer than an hour. Suddenly the music gets this crackling interference/distortion and I need to stop playback and start it again.

This is part of a whole audio issue that I've read about in forums, with the 2018 MBP, where people are basically saying NEVER use a 2018 MBP for any type of musical performance because of the danger of this happening.

These issues are totally unacceptable for a $7000 computer from Apple. I'm still under warranty and if it can't be fixed I'll have to sell it and get something else.

Now that, I think, this "supplemental" thing may have worked, I'm going to try again and see if this audio issue persists with my Logic Pro test.

I've been using Apple for over 20 years professionally and sadly I think I'll be switching to PC eventually since the high cost of Apple isn't justified anymore because it has become an inferior product that isn't catered to "PRO" users anymore.

I will come back with any change in the issue.

2018 MBP Crashing with Supplemental Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.